Ripped hen need advice fast..

I wouldn't use regular thread. Wounds stick to it when they healing and it makes a mess. I would use super glue or steri-strips to hold it closed. If you use super glue you are going to need to scrub that wound out within an inch of its life, and then leave a small opening at the bottom to allow for drainage. I like using steri-strips because they are so versatile, but you are going to need to lose lots of feathers to get it closed using these. Again- whatever method you use to close it you are going to need to get any debris out of the wound. You should also consider an antibiotic with suturing or supergluing.

Good luck.

Quote:
x2 --- You need to clean that wound like crazy, or you're sealing germs and dirt into her skin. The picture you posted, I think that wound is too old to stitch ... I'd use superglue, too, but you need to clean it a ton.

Pic? What pic?

By the way- if the wound is over 8 hours old it is too old to be stitched. You are just asking for an infection after the first 8 hour period.

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion .. there was another post they'd started that had two up-close pictures of the wound in question. I replied to both, hoping they'd see them.

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion .. there was another post they'd started that had two up-close pictures of the wound in question. I replied to both, hoping they'd see them.

Thanks, Cherstin. I thought I was going nuts for a minute there.

Back
Top Bottom