RIR hasn't laid in 4 days..acting lethargic.

MommaChicken3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Wauconda, Illinois
My 1 year old RIR hasn't laid in 4 days, and she is a regular layer. She seemed slow and lethargic this morning and was laying in the corner of the coop? Last time I saw this, I had a mite infestation, but I thoroughly checked and no mites! I've seen her trying to lay, but nothing. She has been eating and drinking normally. She is not molting, and all coop temps have remained the same. They have the option to free-range all day, or come in as they please to lay and get out of the sun. They were wormed about a month ago with ivermectin, but after doing more reading on byc, I may have under-dosed them. She did poop in front of me today which is the picture below. A little green and slightly foamy? Could she be egg bound or have worms? She is normally not a lovey hen, she is always running around and doesn't like to be touched but today she let me check her out and catch her with no problems. Totally out of character for her. How do I check for egg bound? Is it quite obvious when feeling around or do I really have to push rather hard to feel? Should I soak her in Epsom salts with warm water for 20 minutes? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I felt around back there, and it felt firm, but I didn't necessarily feel an egg. I soaked her in Epsom salt bath for about 15 minutes because she wanted to get out after 15 minutes, but sat there perfectly through the whole thing on her own...I also put some lube in her vent. But almost immediately after she pooped, but I know there is still some lube in there. I also dosed her again, since it's been a month with wormer. Ivermectin, 4cc's as she weighs 4 lbs. Hopefully she feels better tomorrow!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom