RIR roo x silver factor WR hen. what does silver do?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
What does it do?

What might a non silver factor do?

Apparently silver factor might make a browner color, and non silver a redder color?

any explanations?

tx

Quote:
If you cross a Rhode Island Red (R.I. Red) rooster over a Silver Hen you get Sex-link chicks (Males Silver and Females Red)

Keep in mind that the R.I. Red had the "Silver Gene" (Light Brahma) bred into them when they were creating the R.I. Red.

Chris

Quote:
R.I. Red Rooster over a Recessive White Hen you should get all Black offspring.
R.I. Red Rooster over a Dominate White Hen you should get all White offspring.

Chris

gee, thanks chris.............

eta:

since you have been so generous, may i ask further: this is the case as follows.

Sire: RIR ; Dam: White Rock

f1 offspring: sex linked 'reds' and 'whites', with pullets red and cockerels mainly/all white.

NOW, what colors would come out of a breeding of the f1 just above?

FURTHER, would the offspring be solidly marked in the colors, OR would some of them be bi-color or even tri-color?

this would be my last question, chris.

much appreciated.

Last edited:
Quote:
R.I. Red Rooster over a Recessive White Hen you should get all Black offspring.
R.I. Red Rooster over a Dominate White Hen you should get all White offspring.

Chris

It would depend on what the Recessive White hen is masking becuase all White Rocks are Recessive white.

If they are a strain that is masking a Silver pattern gene ( like Columbian) under the White, then they will make Red Sexlinks.

If they are a strain that is masking Black ( White Giants and Javas are usually always masking black) then you would get all black chicks with some leakage.

If they are a strain that is masking barring, then they would produce Black Sexlinks.

So its best to stay away from Recessive White breeds for sexlinks becuase you never know what they are masking.

Back
Top Bottom