Risk of Disease?

Clappmeg

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
Hi all,
I'll be driving around today picking up 5 silkies from 3 different places to add to my flock (they are SO hard to find in my area!) I know you're supposed to quarantine for 30 days to ensure the birds are not sick/diseased.. how many people actually do this? I'll certainly keep them separate from my current flock of 6 (including 2 roos), but I'd like to at least keep them in cages IN the coop (which is apparently a no-no according to the 30 day rule). What do you think? What would/do you do??
Thanks in advance!

Better safe than sorry. I have quarantined for 3 weeks in the past. Luckily I have all the birds I will ever need (unless some kind of tragedy strikes) so won't have to worry about bringing in outside birds again. If I were you I would put them far away from your current birds for at least 3 weeks, especially if you are getting from multiple sources. That only increases your odds of disease and bugs.

What would/do you do??
I just don't bring birds in.

If I were you I would put them far away from your current birds for at least 3 weeks, especially if you are getting from multiple sources. That only increases your odds of disease and bugs.
This^^^ sounds like a good plan.

You still need to be very careful about cross contamination,
from equipment and your clothing.

Here's some good info:
Biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

I always try to quarantine. Technically it’s in raised cages in the coop, but because of the weather we have here I don’t have much choice this time of year. I’d much recommend not doing it my way, but it just makes me feel safer. Disaster struck when I wasn’t able to do that.

Hi all,
I'll be driving around today picking up 5 silkies from 3 different places to add to my flock (they are SO hard to find in my area!) I know you're supposed to quarantine for 30 days to ensure the birds are not sick/diseased.. how many people actually do this? I'll certainly keep them separate from my current flock of 6 (including 2 roos), but I'd like to at least keep them in cages IN the coop (which is apparently a no-no according to the 30 day rule). What do you think? What would/do you do??
Thanks in advance!
I wouldn’t put them in the same coop even though they are separate in cages. The risk is too high and I am sure you would be super upset at yourself if your whole flock were to get ill.

If I were to bring a pullet or hen into my flock I would definitely quarantine for 30 days far from my flock. But, that's a big if. I only bring in chicks, the oldest being 1 week old. And since they were chicks, they were quarantined for 30 days in a brooder in my heated garage. The risk of infecting my current flock is not worth rushing it to me.

Hi all,
Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't do this. Period.

Can you only pick up birds from one person today and cage them far away from your current birds for a few weeks?

Back
Top Bottom