Rockporter's Take II Emu Hatch

I *think* eggs B, C, and D are moving! A is not, and it cools off easily. I believe it isn’t developing. Could be wrong, but that’s my guess.

First video is Egg B wiggling. It’s hard to capture the movement at this stage since it is so slight.

Turn your sounds on for the second video. Our laughing chickens are so critical of my whistling attempts! :lau

That chicken is hilarious!

I think you’ll have much better luck this hatch. I’m really looking forward to seeing the wiggles. You’re on day 37ish? Right? I think I’m day 30 🤔 so in theory... should see wiggles next weekend?!

Emu math isn’t one of my strong points.

What will be nice is seeing the hatch video in a few more of your posts :D

Yep, right around day 37. If you have a room without a lot of shadows, I highly recommend it for wiggle testing.. to save your sanity. It is crazy making trying to see slight movements in our basement. I am so looking forward to you making it to wiggle week! :fl I just know you’ll have at least a few movers this time.

Are you on the mend? I’m on day 10 (!:rant) of a chest cold. I have lost my voice, which no one seems to be complaining about lol.

Yep, right around day 37. If you have a room without a lot of shadows, I highly recommend it for wiggle testing.. to save your sanity. It is crazy making trying to see slight movements in our basement. I am so looking forward to you making it to wiggle week! :fl I just know you’ll have at least a few movers this time.

Are you on the mend? I’m on day 10 (!:rant) of a chest cold. I have lost my voice, which no one seems to be complaining about lol.

lol losing the voice sucks. What’s worse is when coworkers think it’s funny to make you answer the phone with a whisper.

On the mend with the flu after 4 days of being stuck in my room lol the annoying cough is still here though. It decides (not sure who “it” is) that I need to couch in the middle of the night mid sleeps. Still dealing with car accident stuff though. Torn rotator, ligament damage in my neck. So much PT and chiropractic! Wish it would just go back to normal. Hopefully your sick stretch will be over soon. I swear the coughs seem to last forever.

The other half admitted today that he’s excited for the emus. Never thought this day would come 🤗

@ShannonsChimkens I hope you’re doing better! Any wiggling from your eggs yet? :fl:fl

Day 46!! Time flew by this time! Life has been busy, and I ended up with pneumonia. It’s sugaring season, so weekends are crazy busy. Between that and work I don’t have much downtime. Needless to say, I haven’t been able to kick the pneumonia all the way yet.

3 out of our 4 eggs are still wiggling. “A” is a dud, I think. We are going to stop rotating on day 48. Temp has been 97.5, so I think it will be mid-to-late week next week before we have any hatching.

Egg B is rockin’ and rollin’! Sorry for the chickens laughing in the background.. and even sorrier for the BF who is encouraging it with his whistles lol.

Almost better... I had pneumonia as well. It’s a butt kicker.

You’re getting so close! I’ll be waiting for yours to hatch.

No wiggles here. Question though, if you tap on the eggs with your nails, did you get a hollow sound or a thud sound? 4 of the 5 have a more hollow sound. I believe we’re on day 37.

Almost better... I had pneumonia as well. It’s a butt kicker.

You’re getting so close! I’ll be waiting for yours to hatch.

No wiggles here. Question though, if you tap on the eggs with your nails, did you get a hollow sound or a thud sound? 4 of the 5 have a more hollow sound. I believe we’re on day 37.

Our basement is so noisy between chicks and furnace, I really can't tell. There is definitely a difference in how they feel when you pick them up. The eggs with chicks feel like something solid moving/sliding around in there. The egg I suspect isn’t developing feels like sauce going back and forth, across the egg. LOL I’m sure that isn’t helpful. The weight of the chick is more ”together” than an undeveloped runny egg.

Try your eggs out on a variety of surfaces. Mine wiggle most on the bare scale, but be careful they don’t roll off! They will wiggle in the plastic container on the scale, but it’s not always as much. On the basement floor, they won’t wiggle at all. Maybe it’s too cool.

I also find that it helps to leave them sit out at least a couple of minutes beforehand. They wiggle more to my higher pitched, fun Mommy voice, than to whistling. (although they do wiggle to whistling eventually)

Yours should be wiggling any time now!! :fl I can’t wait for them to start for you, it’s so much fun!

popcorn2.gif

Back
Top Bottom