Rolled oats for ducklings?

dyrne

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 26, 2013
I've not been able to locate anything but non-medicated chick starter that is 24% protein. I was thinking of cutting this with 30% oats but I'm not sure for very young chicks if that is the best plan. Does anyone soak oats before feeding?

I've not been able to locate anything but non-medicated chick starter that is 24% protein. I was thinking of cutting this with 30% oats but I'm not sure for very young chicks if that is the best plan. Does anyone soak oats before feeding?
I think you'll be fine with just the chick starter, mine get 27% turkey starter, though you should probably contact the manufacturer and ask what the niacin content is. If it's less than 55 ppm, you might have to add some niacin or brewers yeast to boost the niacin to 55 ppm.

If they're not yet at the age where they could develop angel wing, I don't see how a little extra protein could be a problem. Once they reach the angel-wing-prone age they should be able to eat rolled oats with no problem.

Anyways, are we talking chicks or ducklings exactly?

I think you'll be fine with just the chick starter, mine get 27% turkey starter, though you should probably contact the manufacturer and ask what the niacin content is. If it's less than 55 ppm, you might have to add some niacin or brewers yeast to boost the niacin to 55 ppm.
Can you apply too much niacin to a duckling? (I mean with common sense, not offering a pile of niacin powder to the ducklings!) I am planning to put some niacin powder into my spring ducklings drinking water, just to make sure…

Can you apply too much niacin to a duckling? (I mean with common sense, not offering a pile of niacin powder to the ducklings!) I am planning to put some niacin powder into my spring ducklings drinking water, just to make sure…
I think niacin is pretty safe. Which product are you planning on using?

Ok it sounds like I'm worrying a bit too much about this. We've only raised chickens to this point and I didn't want to mess the little ducklings up.
I think you'll be fine with the 24%. Does it say on the bag if it can be fed to ducklings? If it does, it should have enough of the vitamins and minerals that ducklings need.

Any Niacin that their bodies don't need goes right out of them, so you don't have to worry about then overdosing on it.

Back
Top Bottom