Roo attacked me yesterday, scared me geez

ceeceeholt

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Alabama
I have two coops and two runs with different age chickens in them. I feed them the same way everyday. I go to the big girls pen and feed then to the little girls pen and feed them. Been doing this since the little girls were put outside about 3 months ago.
Well, I have a roo in each pen. My "baby" roo was 23 weeks yesterday and I went out at treat time just like always and he attacked me. I pushed him back and he came at me again about 5 times before I was able to get out of the run. I raised this little guy since he was 1 day old and have never had a bit of trouble from him. I hate that he scared me and am now nervous this morning to go out there and feed them.
I've read that you need to show him whose boss and I thought I had that taken care of. I don't think I reacted right to this attack as I pushed him back each time, but I was the one that left as he was still throwing himself at me. What do you think went wrong, was he just overly excited to get his treat and I wasn't fast enough? He's big and 2 of his girls have started laying. I don't want to be scared and I want my nice boy back. Any help would be great!!

Update, went out to feed this morning and he attacked me again! I hate this, I enjoy my chickens, but this is not good. He is a 23 week old Cuckoo Marans. Will he settle back down? Time to go?

Time for chicken soup.
droolin.gif
I think the mean ones taste extra yummy.

There are several threads on here about agressive roos.
I've been part of several!
lau.gif

Probably just setting his limits, YOU need to set yours
and fast!

I never wait until they do this to show them I'm top dog. I often just stomp my boots or make movements at my younger roo who eyes me a lot. I would rather have him afraid of me, than the other way around. They will go through this between 6 - 12 months old. I bought an older rooster who had already gone through this stage, and he never looks at me in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable.

If you do not want to make him into soup (which so many people will tell you), assert yourself by not backing down. You should hold him to the ground until he calms down. If it continues for much longer, I definitely would eliminate the problem (him).

I would give him a little more time and training first
before you get the soup pot hot. Don't get me wrong,
I will not tolerate being scared of my roo. Have you picked
him up, or grabbed him up, that's what I have to do. Hold
his head down and walk around the run or around the other
birds, lift your hand, if he raises his head, hold down, try again
until he no longer raises his head, and continue to let the other
birds notice who is boss. You may have to do this several times.
I also make myself look bigger now when I enter the run. You know
raise my arms shoulder height, I'm sure my neighbors think I 'm crazy....
Oh wait, I am crazy....about my chickens!
gig.gif

I would give him a little more time and training first
before you get the soup pot hot.  Don't get me wrong,
I will not tolerate being scared of my roo.  Have you picked
him up, or grabbed him up, that's what I have to do.  Hold
his head down and walk around the run or around the other
birds, lift your hand, if he raises his head, hold down, try again
until he no longer raises his head, and continue to let the other
birds notice who is boss.  You may have to do this several times.
I also make myself look bigger now when I enter the run.  You know
raise my arms shoulder height, I'm sure my neighbors think I 'm crazy....
Oh wait, I am crazy....about my chickens!  :gig

I don't think your crazy!

Never turn your back if you have an aggressive roo. They take that as an opportunity to attack!

My younger roo will go in the coop when I go in the run. I make him nervous. Doesn't bother me one bit. :) Better him to be afraid than me.

Less so with my new roo, the previous one used to try to establish himself with me, I'd just grab him, hold him down for a minute, if he was really aggressive I'd hold him upside down, then put him under my arm (like a football, so his wings couldn't flap and he couldn't bend his head close enough to try to bite) and walk around for a few minutes. He's get the message and clean up his act.

It's just a basic thing of establishing pecking order, they naturally do it among themselves, and you have to show you're the top of the order.

You could also carry a squirt gun with water
smile.png

Thanks everyone. I went out there again and he threw himself at the fence before I even got a chance to get into the run. I have bruises and a lump on my leg, but I'm trying. Pick him up then put him down, he's fine. Then I wait a while, go back out and he charges me, I try to get him, he charges me. I'm getting tired:( This just started yesterday, other then that he has been just fine, not one problem out of him. I'll keep ya posted!

Back
Top Bottom