Roo Issues. Please help! I do not want it to get worse!

The reason I suggested training the Polish, is due to his age, and it's typical for them to have more hormones, than good sense at that age. Usually, they outgrow it, and with a little training, turn out fine. While I understand that is not always the case, it tends to be more typical at that age.

One of my roosters, Griffin, was starting to act aggressive toward me (doing the challenge stance, puffing up when I came near), so heres what I did: Anytime I saw him mating a hen, I came up and pushed him off, than chased him away. I also stood by the hens while they ate, and chased him away anytime he came into the coop while I was there and the hens were eating. Anytime I saw him do the challenge stance at me, I ran at him, and chased him around. Now Griffin NEVER even LOOKS at me funny, but it might be harder for you since your rooster is already aggressive and he is bigger than Griffin (Griffin is medium sized).

Good luck! I think that many people just don't try hard enough with their aggressive roosters.... Just act really confident and "rooster like" toward him. :)

Hello,
Thank you all for your help, but yesterday, they found a way to get out of the coop and almost attacked a five year old. I am getting rid of them both after this. I also yesterday lost 2 of my hens, one of which was my favorite hen. I found a trail of feathers, and then I found the body, coated in blood, half eaten, and dead.
I am replacing them and my roosters with four new polish hens.
Thank you all so much for the help you have given me,
Marie
Sounds like a good solution. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your roosters. A good rooster is a pleasure to have around - one that shares goodies with the hens, watches over the baby chicks when mama needs a dust bath, alarms when needed and most of all, is not aggressive to humans. A lead hen will keep an eye out for predators and alarm if she sees any, so I think you'll be good there. Sorry to hear about the hens you lost.

Sounds like a good solution. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your roosters. A good rooster is a pleasure to have around - one that shares goodies with the hens, watches over the baby chicks when mama needs a dust bath, alarms when needed and most of all, is not aggressive to humans. A lead hen will keep an eye out for predators and alarm if she sees any, so I think you'll be good there. Sorry to hear about the hens you lost.
Thank you!

I wonder which of my hens will become the lead....Is it the highest in the pecking order or is it the largest in size?
I have a hen who is bigger then the rest and is at the top of the pecking order (the roos helped her get there)...Will she be the lead hen?
Here she is....
20160825_155735.jpg

My pretty barred rock lady.
Marie

Back
Top Bottom