roo trouble

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
I have a roo that isn't doing his job. He seems to be a 1 woman man. Over the last 9 months I have set eggs from his flock four times and each time only 1 hen is fertile(different ones each time).He has between 8- 12 hens (most are last springs chicks) and no competition. They have 16+ hrs of light, a heated barn, and are laying well so its not the hens. I know fertility goes down in the winter but 2 out of 28 is a bit much.Any ideas how to motivate my roo?

No idea.
hu.gif

I would just have to replace him.

Just a wild shot – What breed are they? This does not happen a lot but it can possibly happen. Some thick feathered breeds like Orpington or Cochin sometimes have problems hitting the target. The feathers are so thick they get in the way. Breeders have been known to trim the feathers around the vent on the rooster and the hens to make hitting the target easier. How’s that for weird?

That’s probably more likely to happen on show quality chickens more than hatchery chickens because they are bred for nice thick feathers. With your numbers that sounds like he should be doing better than that, but what have you got to lose by trimming?

Some roosters do just have low fertility, maybe some medical problem. Severe frostbite or injury can cause that. Severe inbreeding can lead to low fertility. Older rooters are often not very motivated. Hatcheries solve that by putting some younger roosters in the pen to create a rivalry.

I wish you luck. That sounds frustrating.

He is a Japanese barman body style and has assorted hens. Sussex polish EE Chancler rocks duccle and Sultan. I've gotten good eggs from the barred rock Sultans and duccle. So feathers aren't the problem. I think he is lazy.

Back
Top Bottom