Roof Angle Help NEEDED

Kmf

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Milford, MI
Hi,
I am planning an 8 x 8 coop with a 6/12 pitch roof. From some plans I've seen, that would give me the right height that I want. I just don't know how long to cut the wood and at what angles. I have figured everything else out, but those DARN angles stump me. It's probably really simple and I am making too much out of it!

ANY help would be appreciated!!!
big_smile.png

im thinking a 12/6 roof is for every foot out there is 6 inches of drop that should be a 45 degree angle

Last edited:
6 on 12 means for every 12 foot of run (width of building) you have 6 foot of rise.

So for an 8' foot building with a ridge, run would be 4'.

4 divided by 12 = .333. So take 6 X .333 and that will give you hieght to the peak.
Now hieght squared + run squared = rafter length squared.

Use a framing square to find angles.

Your coup is 8X8 assuming you have a peaked roof that would give you a run of 4' minus half the thickness of the ridge board.

Line it up the 6" on the out side of the short narrow leg on the top edge of your rafter and then line up the 12" on the outside edge of the long wide leg.. Mark your top angle and mark the rafter at the 12. Move the square down now so the 6 is where the 12 was and mark the 12 again. Repeat this a total of 4 times then subtract 1/2 the thickness of your ridge board (3/4" if you are using 2X material). That is your rafter length from top cut to the bird mouth. if you want an overhang add to that length.

Or---

Go buy your self a Swanson's speed square, comes with a book.

If you want a gable roof with a 1 foot overhang your rafter length is going to be 64 1/2". The angle is going to be 27 degrees. The 64 1/2" is going to be long point of angle to short point of angle. I hope this is less confusing for you.

Here is my 8X8 coop

35011_dscn0956.jpg

All walls framed at 5 1/2 ft and then I added another 2 ft on the front wall to give the angle I wanted. I just wanted to make sure I could go inside of most the coop without bumping my head. I'm 6 ft tall. I also wanted to use no more than 8 sheets of the T-111.

35011_img_0314.jpg

The rafters were 10ft 3 inches long to give me overhang on the front a the back. I didn't do an overhang on the side because I just wanted to save on wood and roofing.

Back
Top Bottom