Roost design help please! (Update) Roost done!

ChookHappy

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Petaluma, Ca
Hey good evening everyone! I'm getting real close to getting my coop done and I have not decided on a roost design yet. Here is what I'm working with:

It's 4x8x4 and the nests stick out a foot into the coop. So I only really have 3 feet wide for roost space. I have 8 standard size pullets and might go possibly to 12 max in this particular coop. They will only be sleeping and hopefully laying in there and I live in an area that never has bad winters. I have 2x4's to build the roost. I think that should be all the info needed lol. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would ask do you have a outside door to collect the eggs or do you have to go inside . second is your water and feed inside or outside. Do you have windows in the front on both sides

Last edited:
This is what we did. BTW where you gettings your pullets or eggs.
41441_dscf5699.jpg

From what i can tell from your picture, i think i would put the roosts on the opposite end from the camera in a style sort of like Cheryl's picture. It seems like this would use the space well - just from what i can tell from here.
wink.png

Sorry yea the pic didn't show the front well. There is two windows on the front with the 42" nesting box setup in the middle so the front is used up pretty much. There is a door to get the eggs from outside and I won't be entering the coop often. For the time being I will have water and feed outside until I get a pan or something to keep things tidy. How high should the roost be? I've heard before to have the roost higher then the nesting boxes. Why is this and how much higher are they talking about? Thank you all for the help!

The reason to make the roosts higher than the nest boxes is that chickens tend to roost on the highest surface. If the highest place to go to sleep is the nest box, then you will have poopy nest boxes and dirty eggs.

If i remember correctly, they say about a foot higher than the nest boxes is sufficient. I am fully open to correction on that.
wink.png

Ahh ok thanks, silly me lol. Now that you mention it I do recall reading about that in the storeys book. I forgot to mention that I got my chickens from a breeder that advertises on Craigslist. These are our first chooks. 2 Ameraucanas (presumably), 2 BR, 1 LB, 1 black star, 1 SLW, and 1 BO. From now on though I think we are going to hatch our own. I've been looking for an incubator.
fl.gif

EDIT: Hey btw, would the chooks prefer the 2x4 to be layed out horizontaly or verticly (sp? lol)

Last edited:
I think they like the wider surface better. The wider surface also makes me worry less about someone losing their balance and falling off the roost.
roll.png

How old will your darlings be when you get them?

I notice that your coop is 4 ft high .Do you plan on a poop board ? I would put a roost on the side where your big window is at the peak of the nest boxes . your birds do not need a ladder they can fly up there even if you clip there wings . Birds love to look outside. They have a wonderful feeder on this site made out of pcv. and a water nipple if you decide to make your own . You can get the nipples from Farm-Tek for about 10.00 for 5 of them that includes shipping .They work wonderful . please show more pictures of it .very nice coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom