Rooster’s Spurs Are Affecting His Love Life

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
I know this is completely my fault, but I still need guidance on what is best.

My almost 2 yo rooster is the perfect rooster and I want to fix this problem I’ve let happen. I have always kept his spurs filed to a smooth, blunt end and even trimmed a bit off the ends now and then, but now I believe the length is hindering his mating. (I don’t have to have help to keep the spurs filed.)

His spurs have caused a few hens to have barer backs, but hasn’t caused any cuts - no blood, so I thought I would just continue keeping them smooth. However, I have noticed he has a hard time “connecting” with the hens’ vents. This is just a guess, but I think the length of the spurs are keeping him from lowering himself enough onto the hen’s back. I guess he can “feel” he didn’t complete the job, because he takes forever trying and then will just stand there on top of the hen. He has produced several fertilized eggs though.

My question is this, I want to remove his spurs (I think that’s my only option), but I’m not sure which way is best. To completely cut them off and administer blood stop or use the “hot potato method” I read about all the time.

I really hate this new mating style for my poor hens. There are times, when I am in the near vicinity, that I have to make him hop off. And then again, his spurs may not be causing this piggy back sitting. He may have just developed a poor mating behavior.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Thanks to all!

What I use with the Dremel are the metal cutting discs, the ones you can use to cut nails. They cauterize by getting hot. Some people use a grinder where they just start at the tip and grind until they consider them short enough. If they see blood, they stop.

Could you please post a photo of those spurs? That may not be your problem.

I agree with trimming the claws. Those are generally the reason for bare backs, not the spurs.

Don't worry about filing. I just don't see any advantage at all for that. If for some reason you feel you have to file, use a grinder and smooth as you shorten.

It can be a good idea to have corn starch or flour handy to stop bleeding. I've never had one that bled much at all, just a drop or so if any, but I can see accidents happening or one being a bleeder.

When I finish I just toss them back into the run. No treatment or after care. He immediately mates with a hen to show he is still the boss and life is back to normal.

And while you are at it, you might want to trim/file his claws too, as they often are the reason for bare backed hens.
Yes, thank you. That is excellent advice. I will trim his nails and file them smooth and also file his spur stubs smooth.

Now I’ve just got to make sure I’ve got the right cutting disc. While looking up the Dremel accessories I saw that Dremel makes a nail trimmer—for dogs, not humans! :lau This reminds me of the nail trimming part in the movie Dumb And Dummer. Too stupid, yet funny.

From what I have seen so far watching videos, this only strips the outer layer leaving the sharp and pointy ends almost the same as before = no use for me.
I was under the impression that once the outer covering was removed, what remained was the soft fleshy part. I would equate the leftover part of what was left after removing the shell from a crab leg. You know, the soft fleshy meat that pulls out...right before I dip it in butter and devour it! :gig

Back
Top Bottom