Rooster Attack!

Maxwell Sulham

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Hello everyone!
I have a question to ask and for opinions as well if needed. I have two Bantam Sebright Gold Roosters and One Ameracanua. The Ameracanua we call Lino, and the two others we call Mr. P and Spike. P and Lino got into a fight and drew blood. P is now scared of Lino and runs away just like a cheetah. Lino stills pecks P and he screams. Spike goes after Lino, then Lino runs away from Spike. We think P has chicken PTSD but he still sometimes pecks Lino. We have two options to think about, getting chicken glasses because our hens also peck each other since they are all attracted to the color red. Or putting Lino in another coop and stay by himself for a couple of days without the hens. Would chicken glasses be good for the roosters? Now I know we cannot stop roosters from attacking each other but, trying to keep them less aggressive than they are right now. If you all have an Idea I would be happy to hear from all of you!

so Mr P and Spike are still getting along? separating Lino is a good solution if you have enough space for him and his ladies to live separately, but separating him for a bit and then letting him come back likely isnt going to help.
if your hens are packing each other too, I'm wondering if they dont have enough space

In theory, the roosters would be less aggressive towards each other without the hens. A possible alternative to splitting the hens off into groups with 1 rooster would be to have a bachelor flock. I found managing more than one rooster exhausting, and am very happy now with just one.

In theory, the roosters would be less aggressive towards each other without the hens. A possible alternative to splitting the hens off into groups with 1 rooster would be to have a bachelor flock. I found managing more than one rooster exhausting, and am very happy now with just one.
:goodpost:

so Mr P and Spike are still getting along? separating Lino is a good solution if you have enough space for him and his ladies to live separately, but separating him for a bit and then letting him come back likely isnt going to help.
if your hens are packing each other too, I'm wondering if they dont have enough space
We had two coops for them to live in the biggest for the Hens and the little roosters. Then we had a tiny one for Lino and his brother which we had to cull sadly. So all of the chickens are in one coop because We live in Vermont and couldn't cull the rooster outside because of the snow even if we cleared an area it would be covered back up in minutes. I have a family member come down and see what he could do to build a bigger coop for all of the chickens, then once we get chicks in March we'll put them in the coop everyone is in currently. Also, are chickens aware of blood spots of their own kind if they dig around in shavings or pecking at wood walls? The reason I ask is that we had to cull him in the tiny coop because of snow.

Back
Top Bottom