Rooster behaving strange I think

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wowmanacat, Sep 13, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have 5 or 6 roosters that are around 15 to 18 weeks old. I have seen that one of them is pecking at the hens when they get close to the feeder to eat. The rooster is pecking them to make them back off the feed. I have also sent he roosters take the spots that the hens have dug as a bathing spot from the hens. I do plan on getting rid of at least 3 or 4 of the roosters just not sure which ones to get rid of. I need to take some pictures and ask you all what you think. One that I would like to keep is the only son from my very first rooster, I know he might be mean since daddy was, but daddy was also given to me after he was abused in a way that would make him think "humans" something to attack.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sometimes roos will keep hens away from the feed, especially when they are immature and haven't figured out how to be gentlemen. Make sure you have enough feeders to give the low hens a chance to eat is all I have to add.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If they are juveniles they may just need to mature into good roosters but....if you know you are going to be getting rid of some of them anyway, I would choose to keep those who behave as the best roosters. The ones who look for the treats for hens and call them over, and who are vigilant about looking out for predators and sounding a warning.

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Quote:I am still waiting for any of this to happen, they are only 15 weeks or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by