Rooster Behavior

jgervais

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Jackson, MI
Having never owned or even participated in chicken raising before this spring, I have no idea what to expect from this Roosters behavior. Also, we expected to have 7 hens, not 6 hens and a rooster, but we're willing to keep him if he behaves.

So far he is pretty well mannered, he's an easter egger rooster, and doesn't mind us in the coop or messing with his ladies. Overall he usually seems to just be one of the gals that happens to crow in morning.

However, more and more I will catch him roughing one of the girls up - grabbing them by the back of the neck and holding them there for a second. Thats all he does, it doesn't last more than a few seconds and then that particular hen seems more submissive after he does it.

Assuming this is all normal rooster behavior? Any signs I should look out for that will show he's being too aggressive? No hens have lost any feathers over this yet, and it doesn't seem to happen too often... If he ever comes at one of us, he has to go since I have a young daughter and another on the way. Think there's hope for him? 'The Bishop Don Juan' is his name
smile.png

apparently 'attempting' to mate then. I don't think hes actually figured the process out yet. He just grabs their neck. What a teenager
wink.png

It is probably to early to tell if he will be aggressive towards people yet, in the next month or two you should be able to get a good idea of his personality type. I hope hes a keeper!
smile.png

My roosters are the exact same age as yours and are doing the same thing.

Although one of my roos has figured out how to actually mount the hen (on rare occasions).

My little d'Uccle is the funniest of all since he appears to be SURFING when he's on top hanging on for dear life.

I don't much like the whole BITING thing, but it seems to be all part of the learning process.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom