Rooster behavior

chickiebabe851

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
I have raised my 2 SLW hens since they were day-olds. When our new coop was purchased, we received a same aged (at the time 8 months) Maran/Americana rooster which has been a decent addition to the flock (he was not used to being handled). We have had him for 4 months. He has been a protector/overbearing member, at times. Although, I have had no issue handling the girls around him until now. Here recently while I was ushering my girls into the coop before dusk, he attacked me (pecked at my leg). It didn't hurt, but I was not sure how to react. How do I go about resolving this issue without taking away his demeanour to protect the girls?

It may be just an old wives tale, but I have heard that making yourself appear larger...like sticking out your elbows( I know it sounds hokey) and acting aggressive toward him might scare him off. However, my mom finally took a 2x2 board with her while penning hens and was not afraid to use it on an aggressive roo that didn't take the hint. Overly aggressive roosters need to find a happy home in a pot of dumplings...Just my opinion... :)

I must he honest... I went after him (chased him). I tried to scare him -- which I think I did. He has just never been aggressive toward me. With the change in weather, should I make an attempt to handle him more often? I just don't want this to turn into a habit.

It may be just an old wives tale, but I have heard that making yourself appear larger...like sticking out your elbows( I know it sounds hokey) and acting aggressive toward him might scare him off. However, my mom finally took a 2x2 board with her while penning hens and was not afraid to use it on an aggressive roo that didn't take the hint.

I had 10 roosters last spring, and the one I really wanted to keep was a beautiful, early matured PBR. He began fuzzing up at me very early on, so I tried the aggressive deal. It worked for a while but we eventually put him in isolation in our freezer because he started sneak attacks from behind me...not putting up with that! I had the good blessing of having others to choose from so even though it disappointed me, I wasn't left without a roo. I hope you can get your guy to understand it's not nice to bite the hand that feeds him!
wink.png

You might read my post in this thread, number 9. It might help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-advice-of-a-poultry-raising-friend-need-help

I don’t see a peck like that as an immediate need to kill a vicious brutal rooster. It’s more like a teenager testing his boundaries. Usually if you set those boundaries they are OK with that but you need to be consistent with roosters as well as teenagers. It doesn’t always work out but it usually does. If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of good roosters out there.

Don’t worry about how that affects him protecting his flock. That won’t have an effect on that.

Good luck!

My rooster has been aggressive ... Started w a peck when I picked up 2 chicks last year. Went into sneak attacks. I do not leave the pen or backdown til he does. He usually will pick my boot or a watering can for a target. The other day he did it as I was about to feed the flock and really ticked me off. I then left their outside coop and refused to feed anyone, went about cleaning their henhouse. The hens got upset and one or two at a time came inside to see what I was doing. I spoke gently to the hens but chased him out w the rake when he came to see what I was doing and still would not feed anyone. After 20 minutes I fed the flock. He has been good since then and that seemed to have the biggest impact on him...the withholding food from the flock for awhile. Maybe the hens gave him an earful who knows.

but I always keep an eye on him and today he sneaked by behind me without a charge. I HATE to get rid of him cause he is a great protector to the hens and is very devoted to them but if the withholding food from the flock doesn't t work. He is done.

Back
Top Bottom