Rooster cant crow and sick hens !!! Any ideas ??

swtangel321

~Crazy Egg Lady~
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
So I posted about my rooster not being able to crow (not normal I figured out)

Does anyone know what sickness could be causing this ??

I did have a sick hen last week that I treated with anti's but she didnt get 100% better and now have another hen that seems to have the sneezes and bubble eyes, Its been REAL REAL cold here (15-20) so I dont know if the hens are just sick b/c its so cold.

Could this be a new problem or have to do with the hens ??

Any ideas on how I can treat/fix my poor roosters problem ?

Last edited:
Not a clue, sorry. I have heard they can catch a cold.
Also, read the thread or search about CRD, (Histoplasmosis), it has to do with the bubbly eyes.
I culled a bird yesterday who had bubbly eyes, just in case it was CRD. Bad stuff.

Hope they get better!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the info, wish I knew if the hens problems and the roosters problem were related !! Guess Ill be thinking about culling !!

Quote:
What exactly are you calling bubbly eyes , a bit swollen ? IF SO , I had 1 hen and 1 rooster with eyes a bit swollen . I seprated them from flock and add antibotics to the drinking water and discarded any laid eggs . They seem better now after 4 or 5 days ....

Any pictures to describe wat you referring to ?

Quote:
What exactly are you calling bubbly eyes , a bit swollen ? IF SO , I had 1 hen and 1 rooster with eyes a bit swollen . I seprated them from flock and add antibotics to the drinking water and discarded any laid eggs . They seem better now after 4 or 5 days ....

Any pictures to describe wat you referring to ?

No pics, sorry !!! bubbles are in the corner of the eyes !! Called the vet this morning shes in surgery and will call me back, Guess im just going to have to treat my whole flock
barnie.gif

I dont see any swelling of the eyes, just sneezing, coughting and bubbles. Im so upset I knew I should of culled the first hen that was sick, I knew it just didnt want to !! Lesson learned !!

morning, thanks for your fast responce
smile.png

The eyes in question are a bit swollen, and start out crusty and very watery...then it seems like the bubbles show up after sneezing.

There isn't any CRD down here that I have heard of, I culled just in case...

I did have one roo Barred rock that had a swollen eye, crusted over, brought him in and had to put him back out the next day for a sicker bird (only have one small cage...for now
smile.png
)

He seems to be fine...

The whole flock is on vit/electrolytes water, since they all have some degree of pox...

I am going to keep this one for a couple days (waayyyyy away from the flock) and see.

I am totally interested in what your vet says. I am going to try to find one around here.

Thanks again and I will get a pic this evening...DH is so much better at that
smile.png

have a great day!! hope yours get better also!

Kim

Well got some other antis at the vet today cost $50
ep.gif
Hubby would flip if he knew I spent that on chickens !!! My vet was telling me one of our local colleges will test a bird from my flock for about $30-$50 So i'm thinking that the sickest hen could be culled so we know whats wrong with the rest of the flock, to my vet it sounds like a respatory issue !! I'm going to try the new anti's and see if that helps if not will take the hen up to the college to get tested (poor girl)

Hope both our birds get bertter !!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Hey there! WOW, that is a bit for a vet on chickens...My DH is also wondering why & what we are doing with these birds...
smile.png

Ok, will try to copy paste, but I am thinking it could easily be coryza or ILT...
It fits the Coryza to a tee...except me & hubby have had head colds and can't smell.. so if ythere is an oder, we can't tell...

What we need to figure out is what to do...

we have 51 birds
27- 5 month old barrd rocks (none of them are sick)
24 -7 month old cornish X rocks (comming down with it 1 to 2 per day)

We have culled 3 birds, each having symptoms from all oozy eye to just open mouth breathing.

so what should we do?? cull as they get sick?
cull just the white ones and hope the others are going to be ok?

I had 1 barred rock have a lesser version of the open mouth & the crusty eye for like 1 day...

I left a "gasping" or open mouthed breather with no other signs in the coop this morning, when I got home, she was in the corner looking dead...she wasn't but close and I culled her.

I know I am new to this...I just thought it was going to be easier than this...

any help would be awesome!!!

Oh, yeah, links from one awesome lady!! Thank you speckledhen!!

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/ib.htm
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/laryng.htm
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm

Have a good evening!!

Kim

Dont think its ILT. My very first chicks I got from a breeder in WA state had ILT (most died, had to cull the other 2) But then again they were only 2-4 weeks old so maybe older birds so different signs.

If you keep culling you could end up with no birds, plus whatever you have is allready in your flock being passed around. IMO I would treat the whole flock with anti's and see who pulls thought. DONT EAT THE EGGS WHILE YOUR TREATING !!

I asked hubby the same thing.... Should we cull all that look sick but then after talking to the vet she told me it sounded like the flock was allready getting it so culling at this point wouldnt stop it !! Made since to me.

Your should call your state vet and see where they do chicken optopsty (spelling ?? sorry) since your culling anyways you should bring one down so they can tell you whats going on and how to treat. That would save you a lot of problems and could save your flock!! Thats my plan if these anti's dont work !! Good luck and let me know how it goes !!

Back
Top Bottom