Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
So one of my black roosters has been squatting an awful lot lately. He's got a healthy appetite and can walk around, but he tends to stay low to the ground or just hang out in one place. He seems to have a healthy weight, and I can't find any injuries, so I'm not sure what's up. He's a regular sized astrolorp, about 7 to 8 months old, and not one of those heavy breeds that gain so much weight that they can't walk. It's pretty cold outside right now, with temps averaging 50 during the day and 35 at night. But it doesn't seem like he's simply fluffed out from the cold. Do you guys have any idea of what could be wrong? I wont be able to take him to the vet for about a week.

He seems to be a healthy weight, but whenever I try to make him stand by lifting up under him, he goes right back into a sitting/squatting position as soon as I remove my hand. He's alert and doesn't act sick, apart from not wanting to stand. It's kinda like he either doesn't have the strength or the energy to do it. He's not lethargic by any means. He might be a little fluffed out in some of these pics, but it's 32 degrees out. I've got some vitamins from chewy on the way, and he'll get nutri-drench in the meantime.

Attachments

• 1122210332.jpg
    1122210332.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1122210333.jpg
    1122210333.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1122210333b.jpg
    1122210333b.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1122210333c.jpg
    1122210333c.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 7
Like a said, he spends a lot of his time in a squatting position, and he doesn't even straighten out his legs when I pick him up. He can walk around, but prefers to stay in one place and never really stands up straight when he does.

I have several hens and roosters, although I'm not sure how many of each I have. I would say several roosters to maybe 12 or 15 hens. Like I said, I'm not really sure, but maybe that would give you an idea. I guess I would say that he seems to be kinda lethargic, just bc he tends to stay in one spot. If course, it's usually dark when I go out there, especially since daylight savings time ended. I'll take some pics when I get home. I haven't exactly had an opportunity to do so since I've been at work all day.

Not sure what's going on with him.
I would see that his crop is emptying, consider getting a fecal float to rule worms out that may be causing a decline in health, look him over for lice/mites, that he's eating/drinking well and venturing outside for fresh air and sunshine.

Giving him 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for a week may also be beneficial.

He went downhill again. He was starting to better, but then he developed a rattle and hasn't been interested in eating the last couple of days. His wattles are pale too. I gave him some antibiotics and brought him inside. I'm going to see if that helps him improve.

IDK if he's been pooping ok. He's in a barn with a dirt floor and about 12 other chickens. I can't exactly put him in a segregation cage to check either bc it's already being used by a mama and her baby. I assume it's fine, but I honestly don't know.

I can give him some nutri-drench and see if it helps. I'll try to get some pics later, but IDK how they'll look with low light.

His poops look fine. It's a little hard to tell in the video, but he's got a bit if a limp/gallumph when he walks.

Back
Top Bottom