Rooster collars

maryellen21

Songster
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Sussex county north New Jersey
Has anyone tried the rooster collars? I just ordered one as Elvis is crowing non stop and i cant have my neighbors annoyed. I tried to adopt him out but no one wants him and i cant just kill him for no good reason so i am trying to figure a way to keep him.
Supposedly it stops them from crowing loud.

I read that you have to start using the collar as soon as they start to crow.

I had thought about it, but then lucked into meeting a vet in my state that does the quieting surgery, so I'm going that route, I know that some roos don't make it out of that surgery, but I don't need mad neighbors either.

I currently have a semi-quieted rooster from her and he's not very loud. My hens first few egg songs are much much louder than his full belted out semi-quieted crows. It has greatly added to my chicken math problem.

Wait, no, it's not a problem. I'm getting more chickens!!

Wow so vets can de crow? I know out here debarking dogs isnt allowed anymore, but i never heard of de crowing. How much does that cost?

I'm going to try the collar once it arrives. If it doesn't work I'm going to have to have him euthanized

Not all vets decrow, but a few do. The guy in Oklahoma I think is about 3-400 to decrow roosters.

Last edited:
I prefer the collar over the surgery.
I had 100% death from complications due to the surgery. (Two birds)

The collar I used worked very well, until my dogs chewed it up!

Good to know! Where did you get yours from ?Did you happen to use it on a bantam ? I'm concerned about what size to get ..my boy hasn't really started crowing so I'm afraid order it until he is full grown or crowing like crazy!

Good to know! Where did you get yours from ?Did you happen to use it on a bantam ? I'm concerned about what size to get ..my boy hasn't really started crowing so I'm afraid order it until he is full grown or crowing like crazy!
no, it was not a bantam. He was about 6 months old when I put it on him. They have different sizes for different breeds. Mine was a mixed breed, but worked well using the size guidelines on the website. I bought it at mypetchicken.com
But as someone noted, you have to be careful not to put it on too tight.
Get it as low on the neck as you can, and be sure you can fit the tip of your pinky finger on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom