Rooster comb turning purple and nictitating eyelid covering most of eye! Help!

Farmer2379

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
I have a salmon favourelle rooster 1 1/2 yrs old and I noticed his comb turning purple a few days ago. I thought he was just cold so I put in 2 heat lamps and he sat under them. Went to check on him today and he doesn’t sit under the lamp anymore but his comb is very dark/purple and inner eyelid (nictitating eyelid?) is showing and covering lots of his eye. Have tried searching it up but can’t figure out what could be wrong.

Do you have any pictures? Has he been drinking water or eating? Has he molted recently? Is he having any problems breathing? Hopefully, it is not a heart problem.

Any pictures of it? Normally a blue comb and/or waddles can indicate an illness, heart issues or something respiratory related. Has he had any other symptoms before this started happening? Like sneezing, coughing or nasal discharge? Any breathing problems or issues? How is his poop? Is he thin? Some diseases that can cause darkening of the comb like this can be from Fowl Cholera, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Infectious Coryza, Infectious Bronchitis (IBV) or Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT). Although, I’m believing that this may be a heart issue rather than a disease in all honesty.

Back
Top Bottom