Rooster died, 3 hens not acting normal now

I'm sorry that she died.

Please do let us know if you find anything with the home necropsy and of course when you get the results from the rooster.
Thanks. I hope I'm on the right track with corid. My other sick hen is scratching around a bit more this morning, and some color came back to her comb/wattles. Neither got the bloody poop, but my cockeral, who is acting normal, had a mucous, slightly bloody poop this morning. I'm glad they're all already on the corid water. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. I hope I'm on the right track with corid. My other sick hen is scratching around a bit more this morning, and some color came back to her comb/wattles. Neither got the bloody poop, but my cockeral, who is acting normal, had a mucous, slightly bloody poop this morning. I'm glad they're all already on the corid water. Fingers crossed.
You may want to consider giving an antibiotic along with the Corid if you are seeing bloody poop. Possibly enteritis, but so hard to know.

Amoxicillin would be good. You can also use Tylan or a Tetracycline. Hopefully you will get those results back soon, so you the information and know which direction to go with treatment.

I talked to the vet yesterday. He said the physical exam of my rooster was fine. He said he scored great, with a little irritation in the trachea and lungs. He said it wasn't bad, however. They run the labs down at Virginia Tech, and they'll be in by the end of the week.

For the good news, my other hen got off the roost, yesterday, and was perked up slightly. Today, she was eating and drinking this morning when I went out with them. She was even the second one over for treats. When I got home, she was not isolating herself and she was eating grass with the others when I let them out of the run. She's still moving a bit slower than normal, but seems to be on the mend. She even pecked at one of the hens that got too close to her green bean.

Since she is getting better, and the labs should tell me what was wrong, I didn't end up doing the necropsy. I kept the dead hen cold, in case I needed to do it, but since the other hen is feeling better, my kids wanted to bury her instead.

My hen that died had gone broody every month since March. We broke her of it with a broody cage, every time, but she may have been a little weaker because of that.

Thank you for your help with this. It's been a rough week in the coop for sure.

Last edited:
They finally emailed me the lab results. I figured I'd post in case anyone needs to follow this thread for future help.

It looks like they died from coccidiosis. My rooster had a very high cocci load in the stool sample. His spleen was enlarged and it said he tested positive for mycoplasma. He showed no respiratory symptoms, so I'm not sure how that played into it. Luckily, we only lost the rooster and one hen. It could have been much worse. Everyone else recovered and is doing great. I'm amazed it took him out that quickly, but he could have been hiding it well.. I'm glad I started treating when I did.
On the plus side, my cockerel, the roosters son, is stepping up and looking to be every bit as good as his papa. Thanks to everyone that chimed in and offered their help.

Back
Top Bottom