Rooster died

Spudlo

Songster
Dec 11, 2019
Port Orchard, WA
Our rooster Pearl was found dead yesterday, he was a 8 month old silver silkie and really did a great job taking care of the 5 hens. Our 3 9 month old Amber links didn’t really listen to him, the Barred Rock not so much either, but the gold laced Wyandotte “Dottie” was stuck to his side. When he said it was bedtime, only Dottie went in the coop with him. The other girls were more worried about me and what treats I may have.
Now Dottie is acting sad. Wouldn’t go in the coop tonight my husband had to put her to bed. Do we get another rooster?
A8595109-2EBA-43A8-A4A2-4A536F223A0A.jpeg

Our rooster Pearl was found dead yesterday, he was a 8 month old silver silkie and really did a great job taking care of the 5 hens. Our 3 9 month old Amber links didn’t really listen to him, the Barred Rock not so much either, but the gold laced Wyandotte “Dottie” was stuck to his side. When he said it was bedtime, only Dottie went in the coop with him. The other girls were more worried about me and what treats I may have.
Now Dottie is acting sad. Wouldn’t go in the coop tonight my husband had to put her to bed. Do we get another rooster?View attachment 2014413
I wouldn't count on your GLW bonding immediately with another cockerel or rooster. She might or she might not.
If you enjoy having a flock rooster, I would search out someone giving away or selling a rooster that has been broody raised in a multi-generational flock. They tend to be better birds as they learn a lot being raised by senior roosters and hens.
Sorry for your loss. You wrote that your rooster was found dead. Was he attacked by something?

@DobieLover has a good point. Finding a dead chicken should be a big red warning flag that something, disease or predator or toxin, might be present that could be a threat to the rest of your chickens.

Examining the body, at the very least, for clues to death would be wise. Even better, send the body to a lab for a necropsy to determine cause of death.

I wouldn't count on your GLW bonding immediately with another cockerel or rooster. She might or she might not.
If you enjoy having a flock rooster, I would search out someone giving away or selling a rooster that has been broody raised in a multi-generational flock. They tend to be better birds as they learn a lot being raised by senior roosters and hens.
Sorry for your loss. You wrote that your rooster was found dead. Was he attacked by something?
@DobieLover has a good point. Finding a dead chicken should be a big red warning flag that something, disease or predator or toxin, might be present that could be a threat to the rest of your chickens.

Examining the body, at the very least, for clues to death would be wise. Even better, send the body to a lab for a necropsy to determine cause of death.
My son saw a large bird near him. His neck was broke. The weird thing was one of the Amberlink hens had blood on her back feathers..but not her blood? And when my son found him my husband (used to be a coroner) said rigor had set in so it didn’t “just happen “ very weird but not sickness, definitely was killed. No evidence of any animals . Just him laying in the yard with a handful of feathers around, all silkie feathers.

Thanks. I don’t know if they grieve or want to be bossed around by a rooster? He was an ass to us, but always found food and gave it away to a hen. And possibly was killed by a raptor, but did his job.

Thanks. I don’t know if they grieve or want to be bossed around by a rooster? He was an ass to us, but always found food and gave it away to a hen. And possibly was killed by a raptor, but did his job.
Well at least you know he didn't die from a disease or getting into something toxic.
I stand by my recommendation to get a mature flock raised rooster for your flock of you want a rooster.
Your GLW may just be the low gal on the totem pole and hung out with the rooster to avoid getting tuned up by the higher ups.

Back
Top Bottom