Rooster Fighting Help

SouthLamarFarms

Hatching
Jul 26, 2018
We have a salmon favorelle/RIH rooster that we had our Orpington raise and he integrated into the flock without issue as he grew up. He got incredibly ill and thin and I have had to separate from the flock for about 2 months. I am now trying to reintroduce him back to the flock and it is proving to be very problematic.

We have two silkie roosters, one of whom is quite aggressive and anytime I try to reintroduce this rooster the silkies immediately go for him like a tag-team. The salmon/RIH fights back and because he's bigger i'm scared that if I let it go on too long or if I wasn't there he could potentially kill them. Does anyone have any creative thoughts for reintroducing rooster....it seems a shame to have to get rid of him when we just brought him back to health from what looked to be pretty much the brink of death.

It's frustrating that I can't trust the guys to have a sense of self-preservation, but I definitely don't!

There's really no way to reintroduce roosters,just depends on their temperament,sadly the only way to let them figure out their pecking order is to let them fight it out,if the silkie roosters are smart,they will back out once they see that the RIH rooster is too big for them,some roosters won't back out until they almost dead or dead even if they are loosing,other roosters even if they have won will keep chasing the one that lost and continue to attack them,it would be best if you supervised them while they did it.

We have a salmon favorelle/RIH rooster that we had our Orpington raise and he integrated into the flock without issue as he grew up. He got incredibly ill and thin and I have had to separate from the flock for about 2 months. I am now trying to reintroduce him back to the flock and it is proving to be very problematic.

We have two silkie roosters, one of whom is quite aggressive and anytime I try to reintroduce this rooster the silkies immediately go for him like a tag-team. The salmon/RIH fights back and because he's bigger i'm scared that if I let it go on too long or if I wasn't there he could potentially kill them. Does anyone have any creative thoughts for reintroducing rooster....it seems a shame to have to get rid of him when we just brought him back to health from what looked to be pretty much the brink of death.

It's frustrating that I can't trust the guys to have a sense of self-preservation, but I definitely don't!
When my rooster fight, I grab a stick and smack it really loudly and quickly in between them. They jump, back off, and stop attacking each other for a bit. Do this for a few times and they start to see that you are the bigger being on the pecking order and that you don't like the fighting. It always works with my roos, they stopped the fighting ever since I did this.

It can be very difficult or impossible to reintegrate adult roosters, so the answer is __maybe__ or maybe not. It's best to have an injured bird out there in a separate area of the coop, divided by wire, so the bird is present, in view, but can't be picked on. You could do this now, and see if a couple of weeks in sight will help.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom