rooster getting roostery and attacking my neighbors

newchickiemom48

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2014
I have a rooster that I raised from an egg. He is a pet and I have always cuddled him. My bad after reading all these posts. He spent his first four months on my shoulder and then as my companion while I did my barn chores once he moved outside. He was with one to two hens throughout the winter and allowed to roost in the big barn. He was super friendly until I moved him to new coop with 10 hens. I understand he takes his job seriously and has a lot of responsibility. How can I train him to trust and respect humans while still protecting his hens? If he charges me, I just pick him up while I finish what I am doing, but he is attacking my neighbors. I may have to take his free range privileges away if it continues.

I was able to train his dad who I recently rehomed. I was new chickens a year and a half ago and he attacked me every time I went in to feed them. I ended up carrying a small broom and tapping him in the chest and he stopped chasing me if I came in with the broom. Then one day he was in the pasture and I had to catch him so I picked him up. After that I would pick him up when I had the opportunity and pet him while he was perched at night. Soon I had both his trust and his respect.

Not sure how to retrain junior because he is already quite spoiled. I have to use kindness - could never kick him after raising him from chick. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a rooster that I raised from an egg. He is a pet and I have always cuddled him. My bad after reading all these posts. He spent his first four months on my shoulder and then as my companion while I did my barn chores once he moved outside. He was with one to two hens throughout the winter and allowed to roost in the big barn. He was super friendly until I moved him to new coop with 10 hens. I understand he takes his job seriously and has a lot of responsibility. How can I train him to trust and respect humans while still protecting his hens? If he charges me, I just pick him up while I finish what I am doing, but he is attacking my neighbors. I may have to take his free range privileges away if it continues.

I was able to train his dad who I recently rehomed. I was new chickens a year and a half ago and he attacked me every time I went in to feed them. I ended up carrying a small broom and tapping him in the chest and he stopped chasing me if I came in with the broom. Then one day he was in the pasture and I had to catch him so I picked him up. After that I would pick him up when I had the opportunity and pet him while he was perched at night. Soon I had both his trust and his respect.

Not sure how to retrain junior because he is already quite spoiled. I have to use kindness - could never kick him after raising him from chick. Any help would be appreciated.

Are your neighbors on their property or your own when these attacks are taking place?

It doesn't much matter where they are. If they come on to your property with permission, and get attacked by a "pet", the property owner is responsible. Law suits and medical care are expensive. If he can't be re-trained, he needs to be contained, re-homed, or eaten.

We have to lock up my bantam cochin roo whenever we go out in the yard. He's been getting meaner every day. He's one of 2 bachelor roos. Both are bantams. He's going to a new home soon where there isn't any hens.

It doesn't much matter where they are. If they come on to your property with permission, and get attacked by a "pet", the property owner is responsible. Law suits and medical care are expensive. If he can't be re-trained, he needs to be contained, re-homed, or eaten.

It matters in that if the answer is that it's on the other person's property the answer is going to be that OP needs to contain their animals on their own property - that is why I asked
wink.png
. Once that had been addressed the rest of the answer regarding working with a rooster showing aggeression would have also been added.

It is when they come to my barn. He just started doing it when he got the large flock. I can put up a fence for them, no need to eat him. The hens can fly up pretty high but he can't. I will continue to work with him, was just looking for ideas.

If you like human aggressive roosters, keep him confined to protect everyone, and keep on breeding his temperament. If you would prefer smarter safer birds, move him on and select for better behaviors in your flock. Mary

Back
Top Bottom