Buff-Blondie

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2019
Hello. I'm new here. I work on a historic farm that is open to the public and help take care of 30+ chickens (we got some new babies and more on the way). One of the roosters, who my friend named Clux, has recently lost his dominance. Over the summer, he used to have a ton of hens following him everywhere and he was nice to me (except he did treat me as a subordinate hen as the months went on), but he has become extremely aggressive this past month. At the time Clux was friendly, we only had three roosters: Clux, a small runt named Nugget, and a fiesty and skittish rooster named Loudmouth. We now have two more grown roosters. Out of all the roosters, Clux is the only one who attacks children, hens, other roosters, and now me (who he is probably fighting because he sees me as either a threat or because he wants my dominance). I liked this rooster and the other worker who owns him wants to keep him and let the other friendly roosters go, but now I'm really scared of Clux. He made me bleed really badly tonight with his spurs (glad I wore my new farm pants instead of shorts). My friend argues that we should keep Clux since "he's the best rooster we have," but wouldn't it make more sense to dispose of Clux and keep the friendly roosters instead? Would getting rid of the nice roosters make Clux friendly again? Is it a good idea to keep this bird at all? I'm afraid to volunteer now because this bird apparently means more than my own and other people's safety!

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

That is a hard question to answer. If the roosters belong to your friend, then the option to keep or cull is theirs. On the other hand, if you are threatened by this rooster, you may have to tell your friend you are afraid to work with him. You may have to stop volunteering there if the friend wants to keep him. This all puts you in a tough position, and I'm sure sorry for that.

Hello. I'm new here. I work on a historic farm that is open to the public and help take care of 30+ chickens (we got some new babies and more on the way). One of the roosters, who my friend named Clux, has recently lost his dominance. Over the summer, he used to have a ton of hens following him everywhere and he was nice to me (except he did treat me as a subordinate hen as the months went on), but he has become extremely aggressive this past month. At the time Clux was friendly, we only had three roosters: Clux, a small runt named Nugget, and a fiesty and skittish rooster named Loudmouth. We now have two more grown roosters. Out of all the roosters, Clux is the only one who attacks children, hens, other roosters, and now me (who he is probably fighting because he sees me as either a threat or because he wants my dominance). I liked this rooster and the other worker who owns him wants to keep him and let the other friendly roosters go, but now I'm really scared of Clux. He made me bleed really badly tonight with his spurs (glad I wore my new farm pants instead of shorts). My friend argues that we should keep Clux since "he's the best rooster we have," but wouldn't it make more sense to dispose of Clux and keep the friendly roosters instead? Would getting rid of the nice roosters make Clux friendly again? Is it a good idea to keep this bird at all? I'm afraid to volunteer now because this bird apparently means more than my own and other people's safety!

If the farm is open to the public and Clux is attacking everyone, it's a no brainer. He HAS to go. He is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Thank you for your replies to my post. Hopefully the manager of the farm can convince my friend to let Clux go. I really want everyone on that farm to feel safe and they are very fortunate that I won't sue them. This isn't the first time he has attacked me and he has gone after three other young children, one was less than a year. I'm just thankful I was the one who got spurred and not a young child.

Thank you for your replies to my post. Hopefully the manager of the farm can convince my friend to let Clux go. I really want everyone on that farm to feel safe and they are very fortunate that I won't sue them. This isn't the first time he has attacked me and he has gone after three other young children, one was less than a year. I'm just thankful I was the one who got spurred and not a young child.
I don't think anyone here was thinking you would sue, but if someone's child is injured while visiting an open farm, a lawsuit is sure to follow. Sounds like your friend doesn't own the farm and doesn't have the final word. Someone needs to inform the owner of this farm about this problem.

I don't think anyone here was thinking you would sue, but if someone's child is injured while visiting an open farm, a lawsuit is sure to follow. Sounds like your friend doesn't own the farm and doesn't have the final word. Someone needs to inform the owner of this farm about this problem.

No, they do not have the final say so and I've been providing pictures of my injured leg to the owner and letting them know all of the incidents where Clux attacked someone. This isn't the first time he attacked me. He also poked me under my eye one day because he thought I was a subordinate hen and gave me a dead frog later that day as a present. He attacked a little three year old in a red dress out of nowhere, tore it up and caused her to bleed in three places; my friend didn't do anything and he watched the whole thing. Clux also attacked another five year old yesterday and I had to protect her with my body. The one year old was poked by Clux on the arm, but I shooed him away before he could do anything else; the mom thought the baby was just spooked by the bird. Clux charged at my leg on Thursday as well and my mom and a close friend witnessed it. The manager of the farm is afraid of the birds now, which is sad because the rest of those birds are very sweet and wouldn't harm a fly (they just chase them). I'm afraid if Clux stays there, he will continue to attack people regardless if they are in or out of the hen house, and no matter how many roosters we own he will continue to be a jerk. It's a shame because he used to be a very kind boy and I liked him a lot. :(

Does your 'friend' own this historic farm?
Who's really in charge here?
Do they have legal representation?
The 'manager' should be decisive in resolving this.
Romance meets Reality...
....someone with logical animal husbandry skills needs to get rid of that bird.

My friend does not own the farm, he's just a worker. I really hope the owner can convince him to get rid of that bird on Tuesday. This is the third incident report we had to fill out because of Clux. My friend has raised poultry a lot longer than I have, but even I wouldn't keep a bird like that around people. If it was a private farm with no kids running around, he would be able to do what he wants, but that is a public place that represents my city. I am aware there are humane ways to tame roosters who act like this, but again, the children won't know how to do that other than me and I don't want anyone to lose an eye. If he were my bird, I would do it one-on-one in private, but that won't happen due to the situation. I hope he will make a nice snack for the predators outside the fence. That guy is huge!

Back
Top Bottom