Rooster Has a solid ball shaped mass in neck, can't hold head up anymore.

Chickens can suffer from lymphomas and sarcoma tumors from viruses. Lymphoid leukosis and Mareks disease are 2 common viruses that affect chickens, and cause tumors. With these types of tumors, they will frequently suffer from dehydration and weight loss, and have low energy.

When chicken owners have the possibility of either an abscess, cyst, or a tumor, it can be helpful to take a large 18 gauge needle and syringe, and try to aspirate or suck out some fluid or pus. If nothing comes out, it is most likely a tumor. Let us know if you find out what is going on.

If you lose him, I would try to get a necropsy performed by your state poultry lab.

For some reason this just now popped up, after I responded to Camochick96. I will go ahead and see if I can get anything to drain out this evening once my husband is home. Thank you so much for the words of wisdom, it's greatly appreciated!

Remember that pus from a chicken is not usually a liquid, it's solid and rubbery. Abcesses can be very hard if they are full. If it's a tumor, I would not envision a good outcome for this guy, but if it's an abcess, things could work out fine, provided it doesn't occlude his airway. If it were my chicken, I'd try to slice it open and put him on some antibiotics.

Yeah if it’s puss it will likely be chunky, but it could be colored liquid. Also expect a horrible smell if it is an abscess. Hopefully that’s all it is! Keep us posted! ;)

Chickens can suffer from lymphomas and sarcoma tumors from viruses. Lymphoid leukosis and Mareks disease are 2 common viruses that affect chickens, and cause tumors. With these types of tumors, they will frequently suffer from dehydration and weight loss, and have low energy.

When chicken owners have the possibility of either an abscess, cyst, or a tumor, it can be helpful to take a large 18 gauge needle and syringe, and try to aspirate or suck out some fluid or pus. If nothing comes out, it is most likely a tumor. Let us know if you find out what is going on.

If you lose him, I would try to get a necropsy performed by your state poultry lab.

Excellent idea! X2!
For some reason this just now popped up, after I responded to Camochick96. I will go ahead and see if I can get anything to drain out this evening once my husband is home. Thank you so much for the words of wisdom, it's greatly appreciated!

I wish I could help here, but I am at a loss. I would most definitely try to drain it if it was my bird. Do you know how suddenly it came on him? If I couldn’t get anything to drain, I would consider euthanizing. So sorry you’re dealing with this.

At this point, I don't think there is much to lose by trying to drain it. If nothing comes out, I would consider putting this bird down if it were mine. I think if it continues to grow, it will eventually occlude his airway and slowly suffocate him.

Agreed also.

I would try and lance it- very small and very shallow cut-- at least at first, just to try and see what is in there. Be warned, if its a tumor, it could possibly bleed profusely- that's why I say go shallow at first and be prepared to have something to stop the bleeding quickly.

That is my best guesses, but no where near actually informed medically. We had a cat who had a tumor on its neck and the cat scratched it open and he bled to death. :( This was back in the early 80's when most people didn't take their animals to the vet unless they were rich... at least in this area.

Please keep us updated on what happened!

Back
Top Bottom