Rooster Has a solid ball shaped mass in neck, can't hold head up anymore.

Incukahlan

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I am looking for someone who can help me identify what is going on with my roo, and what we can do to help him here at home. I have an Australorp/RIR roo that I hatched out last year, and he is now fully mature. We noticed a few days ago that he could not lift his head and I immediately brought him inside to see what the problem was, as he was dehydrated, and lethargic. He has a solid ball shaped thing just below his ear on his upper neck. I gave him some electrolyte solution through a dropper to get some fluids in him, as he was obviously dehydrated, and his comb was discolored. He is now eating on his own if I put the feeder right next to him on the ground, but I'm not sure if he can swallow the water by himself, since he can't lift his head, so I am still giving him water. The poor guy stands there with his head on the ground, not able to do much. I love all of my animals, and want to know how I can help him with this. I cannot take him to a vet unfortunately, but I do have access to medications, antibiotics, vitamins, etc. I took some pictures and wanted to see if anyone had any idea what this could be, and what can be done. The mass is solid, not squishy, and perfectly round. I don't know if it is a tumor, an infection, swollen something or another. No idea. Everyone else is perfectly fine. I've had hundreds of birds and never had this issue before. His eyes are perfectly clear, nostrils are fine, and he is showing no other symptoms or signs of distress, besides he can't lift his head. He still lets me hold him, and even touch the mass, and it doesn't seem to hurt. If you need any further information that I haven't thought of, please feel free to ask. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long rambling story, just want to give as many details as I can. Thanks!
20180130084126_IMG_0516.JPG
20180130083457_IMG_0511 (1).JPG
20180130083422_IMG_0510.JPG

Chickens can suffer from lymphomas and sarcoma tumors from viruses. Lymphoid leukosis and Mareks disease are 2 common viruses that affect chickens, and cause tumors. With these types of tumors, they will frequently suffer from dehydration and weight loss, and have low energy.

When chicken owners have the possibility of either an abscess, cyst, or a tumor, it can be helpful to take a large 18 gauge needle and syringe, and try to aspirate or suck out some fluid or pus. If nothing comes out, it is most likely a tumor. Let us know if you find out what is going on.

If you lose him, I would try to get a necropsy performed by your state poultry lab.

Remember that pus from a chicken is not usually a liquid, it's solid and rubbery. Abcesses can be very hard if they are full. If it's a tumor, I would not envision a good outcome for this guy, but if it's an abcess, things could work out fine, provided it doesn't occlude his airway. If it were my chicken, I'd try to slice it open and put him on some antibiotics.

Chickens can suffer from lymphomas and sarcoma tumors from viruses. Lymphoid leukosis and Mareks disease are 2 common viruses that affect chickens, and cause tumors. With these types of tumors, they will frequently suffer from dehydration and weight loss, and have low energy.

When chicken owners have the possibility of either an abscess, cyst, or a tumor, it can be helpful to take a large 18 gauge needle and syringe, and try to aspirate or suck out some fluid or pus. If nothing comes out, it is most likely a tumor. Let us know if you find out what is going on.

If you lose him, I would try to get a necropsy performed by your state poultry lab.

For some reason this just now popped up, after I responded to Camochick96. I will go ahead and see if I can get anything to drain out this evening once my husband is home. Thank you so much for the words of wisdom, it's greatly appreciated!

There are fatty tumors called lipomas, but there are usually squishy, not hard. My dogs get them. Sebacious cysts are also common, and I have pulled out some bloody fluid from those with a syringe and needle. They may become hard as well. I would take your time, seeing how he gets along, to make any decisions. Watch and measure it to see if it grows any. Let us know here how he gets along.

I wonder if it could be some kind of abscess? I know I had a pig once that had an abscess appear on her neck over night, it was the size of a golf ball! We drained it with a needle and she was back to normal the next day. But I’m not sure if this is an abscess or not. Hopefully someone has some experience with something similar on a chicken. Good luck with him!

Greetings Incukahlan,

You should really think about taking your rooster to see a Vet.

If the lump is large and solid/firm as you describe, it is likely to be a fibroid tumor. Such tumors are common in birds including chickens. Whether it is benign or malignant is something only a Veterinarian can determine. This is not something that can be fixed with antibiotics or vitamins. Some tumors can be surgically removed by the Vet, and the bird can live a normal life without reoccurrence.

If this was soft and squishy, then, most likely it would be a cyst or abscess. Abscesses are areas of tissue that have become swollen and inflamed by bacterial infections. An abscess can rupture and the infection will start to pour out. A cyst is a tissue sac that is filled with fluid or other loose material, this is common in feather follicles. Both of these are treatable at home.

Now, if it turns out to be a tumor, and if it interferes with the roosters ability to eat or drink, or have quality of life, then, you may have to decide whether to let him slowly die, or end his suffering...if you cannot take him to a Vet. But, this all depends on correctly diagnosing the lump. Here again, a Vet can take a sample and tell you what it is, exactly.

I know this must be so distressing for you, as it is clear how much you care for your boy.

These are my thoughts, I hope they are helpful.

Other members will have advice, please consider them too, then make the best decision for you and your rooster.

God Bless :hugs

It feels very solid. Not squishy at all, so I don't think it would be an abscess? Unless it is just so full that it feels solid. I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I wonder if I should try draining it, or even just puncturing it a little to see if any fluid drains out. What do you think? I have no problem doing this, and I do have the necessary tools, just don't want to do any more damage in case it is something different. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom