Rooster Has a solid ball shaped mass in neck, can't hold head up anymore.

Incukahlan

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I am looking for someone who can help me identify what is going on with my roo, and what we can do to help him here at home. I have an Australorp/RIR roo that I hatched out last year, and he is now fully mature. We noticed a few days ago that he could not lift his head and I immediately brought him inside to see what the problem was, as he was dehydrated, and lethargic. He has a solid ball shaped thing just below his ear on his upper neck. I gave him some electrolyte solution through a dropper to get some fluids in him, as he was obviously dehydrated, and his comb was discolored. He is now eating on his own if I put the feeder right next to him on the ground, but I'm not sure if he can swallow the water by himself, since he can't lift his head, so I am still giving him water. The poor guy stands there with his head on the ground, not able to do much. I love all of my animals, and want to know how I can help him with this. I cannot take him to a vet unfortunately, but I do have access to medications, antibiotics, vitamins, etc. I took some pictures and wanted to see if anyone had any idea what this could be, and what can be done. The mass is solid, not squishy, and perfectly round. I don't know if it is a tumor, an infection, swollen something or another. No idea. Everyone else is perfectly fine. I've had hundreds of birds and never had this issue before. His eyes are perfectly clear, nostrils are fine, and he is showing no other symptoms or signs of distress, besides he can't lift his head. He still lets me hold him, and even touch the mass, and it doesn't seem to hurt. If you need any further information that I haven't thought of, please feel free to ask. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long rambling story, just want to give as many details as I can. Thanks!
20180130084126_IMG_0516.JPG
20180130083457_IMG_0511 (1).JPG
20180130083422_IMG_0510.JPG

I think the discoloration of the comb is due to his lack of water for a few days as it got bigger. That is already brightening up a bit since I brought him in. Those pictures were taken a few days ago when we first found out. His throat is clear, it seems to be hanging more on the outside, which is good. He can swallow fine when I give him electrolyte through the dropper, and he eats fine as long as it is at his level. He has an appetite, so that is good. No respiratory issues, no open mouth breathing. And yes, it feels like a gold ball. I can literally hold most of it in my hand. It's solid and perfectly round.

Also, I did check out his throat very thoroughly. I can feel that everything is normal in there. It seems to start right below his ear, and upper neck, but does not go into his throat.

I am so sorry that I am unable to help! Do you know how quicky this came on? Is the mass warmer to the touch than the rest of him? It does not appear pink (like infection) in the photo. This is an odd one. I hope someone here is able to help.

I don't believe it was any warmer. I will check tomorrow. At first glance I thought His crop was just full, then I realized it was too high up. I appreciate the attempt for helping! : ) I hope someone has experience with something similar. Without knowing what's wrong with him, I don't know if we are on a time crunch to fix this or what. Thank you for taking the time to go back and forth with me.

I wonder if it could be some kind of abscess? I know I had a pig once that had an abscess appear on her neck over night, it was the size of a golf ball! We drained it with a needle and she was back to normal the next day. But I’m not sure if this is an abscess or not. Hopefully someone has some experience with something similar on a chicken. Good luck with him!

Back
Top Bottom