rooster has blocked rear end- please help *pictures are graphic*

Quote:
If he had mites, would not the rest have them as well? I have 18 more.... and he is the only one that has this issue.
So don't use vaseline, but vegetable oil? I also use Neosporin as well.
On the oats, do I feed that to him raw or cooked, and can he have instant?

The other birds might also have the issue, but often as with people, some birds are "tastier" to the bugs than others. And once he was attacked, he was weakened, and bugs seem to gravitate towards compromised hosts. You can cook the grains or give raw. Instant would be okay, but preferably plain, not flavoured (avoiding the sugar and milk addatives).

The oil will not be as messy, and is more likely to loosen the clump of blockage IMO. I would lightly rub the neosporin on irritated skin; more to ward off infection than anything else.

About to start the process today. Have sink full of soapy water (dawn) till I can get to the store to get the other stuff.... little sissors to trim those feathers, another egg getting scrambled, Veg oil, and neosporin at the sink. Hunting down the q-tips now (we just moved here in July and stuff is still packed up)

Quote:
Plain Neo...yup... I checked, and the man at the feed store checked the other day too.

I still don't know how many times to do this to him though
sad.png

We just finished up with the sink bath. Something must have loosened up as he pooped in the water. I lathered his vent (is that what it is called?) with the veg oil and q tips tried to trim those feathers, but it looked like it hurt him. He sat through the whole soaking process for about 10 or 15 minutes. I hope that this starts the healing process, but to be on the safe side, I am still going to take him to the vet when I get the dog's shots this week. But I will keep doing these baths until then.

Just an update, I took No Butt Feathers to the vet.

The vet soakeded him in warm water and epsom salt and the mass of plug released itself! Vet said NBF pooped explosively while in the bath. Vet also said that what could have occured is when all the other chickens plucked his feathers out that it also damaged his vent area. When it started to scab and grow feathers back, it blocked his vent. Vet also said that I need to keep watching it as it may become blocked again by tomorrow. But now that it is scab and block free, it should not be as difficult to keep it clear.

Should I use vaseline on the area to keep the poo from accumulating?

Thank you all for all the help that you provided.

Back
Top Bottom