Rooster help

TexasBaybee

Chirping
Apr 1, 2021
I have a rooster that is 1 yr old. I just got 3 day old baby chicks in march and 1 in April. All hens. I introduced the chicks to him starting the day I brought them home. Made sure every day I took them out to be with and around him. When it got to where they could run around they would spend more time with him. Always with me there to watch. Never a problem. Only issue I am having is when it gets bedtime and everyone jumps up in the coop, the baby is out. I thought she wast having trouble knowing what to do or afraid of the darkness inside coop. Got night light for coop. Still she doesn't want to go in. When I try to put her in she screams and flaps her wings and crawls up my arms. I put her in and she gets up against the wall. Then the rooster reaches over and bites her. No wonder she doesn't want in. Why is he doing that to her? All is fine during the day. Jis t when it's bedtime on the coop.

I have a rooster that is 1 yr old. I just got 3 day old baby chicks in march and 1 in April. All hens. I introduced the chicks to him starting the day I brought them home. Made sure every day I took them out to be with and around him. When it got to where they could run around they would spend more time with him. Always with me there to watch. Never a problem. Only issue I am having is when it gets bedtime and everyone jumps up in the coop, the baby is out. I thought she wast having trouble knowing what to do or afraid of the darkness inside coop. Got night light for coop. Still she doesn't want to go in. When I try to put her in she screams and flaps her wings and crawls up my arms. I put her in and she gets up against the wall. Then the rooster reaches over and bites her. No wonder she doesn't want in. Why is he doing that to her? All is fine during the day. Jis t when it's bedtime on the coop.
i have 4 that have been introduced to the 8 that are older than them, well 7 now. I only had them together at night for about a week, keeping the little ones in the run during the day wiht no direct contact with the older ones, but at night id throw them in the coop and believe me they didnt want to go in. first couple mornings ud find the first flock in one corner and the new ones in their own.

now i find them on the same roost but apart, the big ones do chase them during the day. but i dont think its weird they dont wanna go in the coop yet if they are still undersized. and only 2 of my newer chicks need to be chased in on the second day of letting them free range. as long as u keep an eye out for crazy bullying it should work its self out. i occaisionally have to chase a chicken or two at night. I dont give them chicken food till bed time. really helps them recall at night.

i have 4 that have been introduced to the 8 that are older than them, well 7 now. I only had them together at night for about a week, keeping the little ones in the run during the day wiht no direct contact with the older ones, but at night id throw them in the coop and believe me they didnt want to go in. first couple mornings ud find the first flock in one corner and the new ones in their own.

now i find them on the same roost but apart, the big ones do chase them during the day. but i dont think its weird they dont wanna go in the coop yet if they are still undersized. and only 2 of my newer chicks need to be chased in on the second day of letting them free range. as long as u keep an eye out for crazy bullying it should work its self out. i occaisionally have to chase a chicken or two at night. I dont give them chicken food till bed time. really helps them recall at night.
Well past few nights I've been putting the rooster to bed in the run and everyone jumps in coop and goes to sleep. Might have to get him his own seperate coop??

Well past few nights I've been putting the rooster to bed in the run and everyone jumps in coop and goes to sleep. Might have to get him his own seperate coop??
How big is your coop?
It sounds like they might just need more space. Can you install another bar that could give some distance between the rooster and the chick?
You wouldn't believe it but many times chicks need to be taught to go into the coop at night or how to roost on a bar. It seems a little tedious but just keep repeating it and they'll get the idea.

How big is your coop?
It sounds like they might just need more space. Can you install another bar that could give some distance between the rooster and the chick?
You wouldn't believe it but many times chicks need to be taught to go into the coop at night or how to roost on a bar. It seems a little tedious but just keep repeating it and they'll get the idea.
definetly agree, Repetition works wonders, and I am wondering coop size to etc, but i feel like from what i read this rooster been alone for a while? might make it harder but if he doesnt hurt them or pluck them neeked im sure they should get their pecking order worked out at some point.

Id feel weary of keeping him in the run, any number of things might pull him through the chicken wire. unless u got HardWare cloth.

do u got any pics of the coop?

First they are never in coop except to sleep. They run loose. Yes he was alone for a few months. It was just him and a hen and neighbors dog dug under fence and got her. The baby gets in coop at night just fine if rooster is not in there. They are bantams and the run is completely desperate from coop. And like I said they are all together all day long with no problems at all. It just when she gets in coop.

Attachments

• 20210627_164924.jpg
    20210627_164924.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220516_181405.jpg
    20220516_181405.jpg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 3
First they are never in coop except to sleep. They run loose. Yes he was alone for a few months. It was just him and a hen and neighbors dog dug under fence and got her. The baby gets in coop at night just fine if rooster is not in there. They are bantams and the run is completely desperate from coop. And like I said they are all together all day long with no problems at all. It just when she gets in coop.
that coops tiny. I think @Justso called it. my "11" are currently in a 4 foot wide by 8 foot long converted shed, and even my little ones dont wanna go in with the big ones. u have a lot less chickens. but i feel hes just defensive over that small space. cute frizzles by the way. is it only the baby the rooster pics on? and have u left it in with it over night? if the roosters just giving it shit it might not do it all night.

Back
Top Bottom