Rooster in a fight, Eye possibly damaged. Now, it looks like he broke his skull/upper top beak. Any

YankeeMinstrel

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
One of my younger roosters just got into a fight with either his brother or his father. He doesn't seem to have injuries elsewhere, but his right eye seems to have redness in it. I can still see the outline of the pupil and iris and the eye does not seem to have any substantial damage to the surface, but has an obvious redness to it. Is it likely that he will go blind in that eye?

Possibly,if I were you,I would stop the fighting.But,you can try a few drops of silver in his eye,but that may not help the fact he may or may not go blind.

I don't believe I have any silver (iodide?) handy, but I did drop in some sterile saline solution, and upon closer inspection, the eye could possibly have taken some internal damage. Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited:
I don't think so,just wait and see what happens,Can he see out of it?try getting close to it to the pint you can nearly touch it,and if there is no eye twitching,you know what happens when something gets,or goes into your eyes,if none of that actions going on,and he is favoring hsi other eye,it's liable,he is blind in one eye.

No such experiment is possible. He seems to be keeping that eye shut, which could be a sign of future blindness.

Poor boy. I was hoping that I could find him another home and may have found a taker, but now, who wants a half-blind rooster?

If he isn't docile,you may have to put hi in the pot.A "One Eyed" Rooster makes no good for a flock...sorry.Was he originally a good natured boy?

He's one of the dang nicest roosters I've ever had. Most roosters I can raise from day one turn out like puppies. He, just like his present brother and dead/given away brothers before him, he does not shy away from attention and would follow me around the yard. He submits easily to being picked up and held, and is so calm that he won't protest to being held upside-down and would be perfectly comfortable with crowing in my arms. He would only bite me when he wanted to mount my arm (young roosters are like that), and never showed me any aggression, but rather a desire for attention and company.

I would hope that these are traits that would make him a pet worth his brokenness.

Wow,he'd make a great therapy animal,or just a regular house pet.Stop the mounting ASAP,shows dominance.

If he is so docile,then why can you not preform the " Eye touch" on him?

If I were you,I would get rid of whom ever is causing this problem.Docile boys like him,need to stay.

The problem is, both he and his brother are people chickens. They both love my company, they both act like puppies. And with the 'eye touch test', he keeps his right eye closed. He will not willingly open it.

Upon closer inspection, more serious issues have arisen. Once upon a time, I did have a rooster with a similar kind temperament who lived fine as a cyclops until he strayed too far into the road one winter. Today, I watched my maimed roo move his beak and and noticed something wrong. He very well may have broken his upper jaw. When I watched him open his mouth, the upper part of his beak also raised a slight bit and I saw the front part of his comb wrinkle a tad. I touched his beak gently and noticed a small degree of flexibility that shouldn't be there. Something is probably broken.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how easily avian skull bones heal if at all. I don't know how much pain he is in. I don't know if I should even keep him alive.

What should I do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom