Rooster is lethargic, losing weight, smells bad

talkingriver

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Connecticut
My Coop
My Coop
I'm posting this question on my brother-in-law's behalf. They have a Blue Orpington rooster, Gus, about 4 years old or a bit more, who has exhibited subdued behavior for at least a week, and isn't eating much. He's lost quite a bit of weight. His comb and wattles are still bright, feathers intact. My brother-in-law says Gus smells necrotic but he can't find any fly strike or injury of any kind on him. He's walking and pecking around some, but is quite "off his game." (The fact that Gus let himself be handled, turned upside down, and completely checked out is unusual.) Poops seem normal.

So my BIL gave him worm medication last night just in case, but does anyone have any other ideas about Gus's mystery illness?

Thanks so much to anyone who might have a suggestion.

Coryza, a respiratory disease will cause a bad odor about the head. Usually there are symptoms like gurgly breathing, swollen eye, eye bubbles, or nasal drainage. Coccidiosis also smell, but they usually have diarrhea, somtimes with blood in it. Corid treats coccidiosis and Duramycin-10 or Tylan will treat Coryza. A drug call sulfadimethoxine (brand names DI-MOX, Albon) will treat either illness.

Open his beak and look inside his mouth ... Check for smells and pus. In addition to Coryza, there's Canker and Wet-Pox, both can cause foul smells and produce nasty, cheesy pus, I think.

-Kathy

Eggcessive and Casportpony, thanks for these tips. There doesn't seem to be any discharge or anything in Gus's beak or throat. Karl said he was a tad more normal tonight. It's just mysterious about the weight loss. I'll repost if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom