Rooster is too rough on hens.

The skin was torn too?
Feather don't 'heal' until they molt and grow new ones...
....that's what I meant about 'due for a molt'.

The toe nails cause most the feather damage,
good to keep spurs blunted tho as they can tear open the flesh on the girls sides.
No blood was shed. When I said she’s healing, her shoulder was getting a little red, like, irritated. And her feathers were being torn out. I put triple antibiotic on it just to ease the soreness. Damage hasn’t progressed after I removed the spurs from the rooster. I’ll try trimming his toenails as they are quiet long and see if that helps my EE. Thanks for the advice.

Hello! I have eight chickens, one being a rooster. So being a rooster, he mates with them. That wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t tear their feathers out. This has been going on for 1-2 months. I can’t get the ones I need to put saddles on. I've tried spur trimming, and I’m not sure it worked. Some hens look perfect now after I did it, some are hardly/not healing. And one is just getting worse. I’m not up to removing the rooster or killing him, so I need suggestions on how I could help my birds. Thanks.
Can you isolate the girls that need healing. They might be killed by the others if they see sores or blood. I had a roo that caused my brahma to bleed by grabbing her head to mate. The rest were trying to kill her. I took her away and let her heal completely and the flock accepted her back when i slowly reintroduced her. You could also separate him from the flock for a few days . A time out might give the girls a break from the stress.

Back
Top Bottom