Rooster mating with non-egg layer

SilkySilkie

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
Vic,Australia
I have a rooster around 6 or 7 months old and he started mating with a pullet who is well around 30+ weeks and should be laying but isnt ive never seen my roo mate with her before or her sibling (hatched from same clutch at same day) so does that mean she will lay soon????

You have a juvenile rooster,, actually still a cockerel, and hormones are flaring. If he is injuring your hens,,, then keep him isolated so no injuries occur.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I keep my overly hormonal 5 month old cockerel in his own space during the day so the pullets he lives with can have some peace. He gets to go back in with them in the evenings and they all sleep together. He can see them during the day, so does not seem to be upset by this.😊
I figure he will eventually settle down and can rejoin his flock mates.

Welcome to the flock!!!
Around 7 months, certain cockerels will get VERY hormonal. My rooster mated a bowl, and then a stick, then the other rooster tried to mate him (while he was still on the bowl).
Roosters are crazy!
If your pullet is over 30 weeks old she should start laying very soon. What breed is she?
shes a isa brown

I have a similar question, hoping I can hijack this thread for a moment. :D
I have a small but growing bantam flock, consisting of 2 cockerels and tow pullets so far. I plan to separate out cockerels and add more hens once I can get a rooster pen setup, along with breeding pens.
The hens are 5 months old, and the cockerel in particular is 4 months old. Jay, the cockerel has been practicing mating with she favorite hen Nugget since yesterday.
When I introduced him to the flock, his sister had been sadly killed by a dog. :( I tossed him in with Nugget since she was so sweet, and she took him under her wing (literally) immediately. They're pretty close.
Thoughts? Is this normal? Cotton the 5 month old Silkie cockerel just started crowing, but Nugget is no were near laying age. Should I separate them? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom