Rooster missing tail feathers-bleeding-need advice!

Nuggetsowner:)

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Minnesota
Yesterday we came home from football game and Nugget was missing all his tail feathers!! The girls had pulled out one or two before but they had healed, no big deal. But now yesterday his tail area was bleeding and looked awful! So I put him in a separate coop and run away fom the girls to stop the pecking give him time to heal. I thought this would help. He keeps pecking at it himself. Is this like a dog licking its wounds. Could he have pulled them out himself? He Seems very aggitated without the girls around. Did I do more harm than good by separating them? Should I be somehow trying to stop him from pecking himself. Someone local told me to put vaseline on the wound but I wanted to ask you all first. HELP you people are so smart. any advice would be appreciated. He is acting normal other than the tail pecking and wanting his girls. He is eating and drinking normaly. Thanks!

There is an antibotic farm animal spray called Blue Kote that helps with healing and might keep the girls from pecking at him....I've also read that a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water applied with a washcloth helps clean the area and helps with smell...also the taste discourages the chickens from further picking...but I personally have never tried it...

I don't think keeping him separate for a few days will hurt...I have a roo I have separated from the hens because of barebacks and molting for a week or two..more like weeks!...he paces but I put him back at night to roost with the girls....

Last edited:
So... IT would be OK to keep him out during the day and then put him back in at night to roost?

He was such a devil to get out of the pen to separate I am not sure that would work so well. Thanks for the advice on the Bluekote though. I think I will go see if our Tractor Supply store will have some.

Lots of people take their rooster out of their pens, some like me because the hens have been overmated....Doesn't take him long to get back to top dog statis with the hens...

Tractor Supply should have the Blue Kote...be careful when applying it goes on people and clothes too!!...lol..I use plastic gloves to keep it off my hands...

since you only have 9 i take it they are more of pets than a source of income

i was going to say that if you depend on them for money beak trimming may be needed but if your well being doesnt depend on it then just go with what these others are saying because beak trimming i view as cruel

Back
Top Bottom