Rooster spurs

Ashley & Donna Dame

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2017
Ok, we have a 3 yr old silkie rooster that we adopted. He's absolutely wonderful. Seems as though he was abused though. One toe gone, blind in one eye....was skiddish but is coming out of it. Has terrible leg mites, we are working through that. My question is that he has a spur that has grown around and is almost to the point of entering his leg. What is the most caring way of taking it down? I want a no pain for him approach please.

May we please see a photograph? Until I see a photo I might not be too much help but I can try. (Good job helping heal him by the way).
With the spur, you can try cutting it very carefully... Has this been an idea you thought of?

one way is to take pliers and grab the base of the spur and twist it of, yes it will feel like you are going to break his leg BUT just before- his spur pops off, quite nicely and very little blood

many people use dog nail clippers, this hurts them and they bleed- a lot

The way I manage things like that is with a Dremel tool and one of those discs used to cut metal. Wrap a towel around his body including the wings. You don't have to cover the head but you can if you wish. Then cut the tip of the spur off. I do this by myself the towel works so well but another person to hold him may make you feel better.

Now the warnings and all that. It's a lot like cutting your toenails or clipping a dog's nails. There is a quick inside the spur. On some roosters it isn't much, on others it is more. If you cut off less than 1/4 if the spur you will almost certainly miss the quick. On some of them you can go 1/2 the length back and miss the spur.

Even if you hit the quick there is a good chance the rooster won't even flinch. I know, hard to believe, but I've done it. That was part of my learning curve. If you hit the quick it can bleed a bit, but usually not much at all. The heat from the wheel seems to cauterize it. If you wish you can have some flour or corn starch handy to throw on to stop the bleeding but I don't. All you need to do is take a little off, not a lot. You should not have to go anywhere near deep enough to come anywhere close to the quick. All you want to do is stop it from growing into his leg.

Some people use dog clippers. Again as long as you don't get into the quick it won't bleed.

If you watch that video you can see how far the quick was on that rooster.

Trimming a roosters spurs is something you will have to learn. Otherwise, you'll need to find a vet or another rooster owner who can do it for you. I'm not gonna lie, it's really nerve racking the first time you do it. They're right, it's not like trimming a dog's toe nail. The silkie is considered a bantam, so he's maybe 2 pounds? I have a Rhode Island Red rooster, 8.5 pounds, huge spurs. We have to trim them every 3-4 months. The first time, I used a high powered flash light to try and locate the quick inside. I was able to measure it at about one and a half inches from his leg. I then marked it with a permanent marker.They say if you cut into the quick, the next time it will be shorter. I don't see that happening in my "Frito". Of course, we have on occasion, nicked his quick. My husband does the cutting with a Dremmel, metal cutting disc. I wrap Frito with a towel like a burrito. Before anything, I make sure I have the Blood Stop powder out, I hike one foot out of the way, inside the towel. Then I wrap an old sock around his foot and exposed leg, just as a precaution. I hold Frito with his head facing to my back, tucked under my arm. With my other hand I hold his foot firmly, (They can jerk, so hold firmly). Then, my husband cuts the spur off at the mark I have made. If Frito bleeds a little I pat some Blood Stop powder on. Also, if you aren't used to cutting with a Dremmel, practice on wooden dowels. Those spurs are very hard, so also anticipate the Dremmel kicking back. You have to hold it firmly too. Good luck!
:)

We watched a video where they used hot potatoes on the spurs. They came off so much easier than videos where potatoes weren't used. The tricky part will be the curled spur.

Back
Top Bottom