Rooster started humping my TV remote.😱

Pics
I did not see anybody hating on the OP. Also nobody said to make fried chicken of his cockerel.

And just because you have 7 cockerels you say you cannot keep, it is no reason for another one to live a miserable life.

X2.

Everyone says this: He is unhappy because he's LONELY and in a home where he is LOVED but not by his OWN KIND.
No one is hating the OP!
I have SO much sympathy but the roo needs to be considered here. PLease don't hatch because you are bored it results in unhappy chickens.

...this thread seems to be about who thinks it's okay to keep a chicken inside and who doesn't... like all the other threads on BYC that mention house chickens. Whatevs.

In a way you are right but this roo's happiness matters, surely?

I understand how difficult it is to face giving up a bird you’ve raised and loved. But maybe there’s another, smaller galliform species that could fill your heart without the space needs a chicken has. Say... coturnix quail perhaps? Then can live in guinea pig cages, are absolutely adorable, and can become pretty tame. Plus they lay very nice eggs.

I don't think getting MORE birds is a good plan. This roo needs a home first of all. @LaFleche, do you agree?

Stop hating on the cockerel lover. He's better off as a house chicken than a fried chicken or fox bait. I have 7 cockerels that I can't keep, and it makes me happy to hear that this boy gets to keep his life. And he's loved.
Thank you!!! (I think so too)

Now and then I come across a story where someone has an unusual pet in an unusual situation.
Like a chicken in their house, or someone raised a pet skunk, or a raccoon.
It’s not the norm, but it can work out in some circumstances.
Who is to judge if an animal is happy or not, if it has a loving, caring home?

Last edited:
Ugh...

My cat isn't unhappy because she's the only cat in the house. We tried to get her a cat friend and she was actually very upset with that idea.

My dog, is also fine with being the only dog in the house. And she is also fine with the fact that the cat is never going to like her or play with her, but it doesn't stop her from trying.

People keep birds as pets. In cages. I'm sure these birds would be much happier in their natural habitat, which is not what I'm debating.

I'm also positive that if I had raised my dog outside in a kennel from her puppy days until now, she would have not known any different and she wouldn't consider us cruel parents for keeping her outside, because she would have known nothing different. Her parents are outside dogs.

It's a chicken. I support a human's right to keep a chicken however they choose to, as long as it's not being abused. Raising a chicken indoors from hatch is not abuse. The chicken knows nothing else.

Ugh...

My cat isn't unhappy because she's the only cat in the house. We tried to get her a cat friend and she was actually very upset with that idea.

My dog, is also fine with being the only dog in the house. And she is also fine with the fact that the cat is never going to like her or play with her, but it doesn't stop her from trying.

People keep birds as pets. In cages. I'm sure these birds would be much happier in their natural habitat, which is not what I'm debating.

I'm also positive that if I had raised my dog outside in a kennel from her puppy days until now, she would have not known any different and she wouldn't consider us cruel parents for keeping her outside, because she would have known nothing different. Her parents are outside dogs.

It's a chicken. I support a human's right to keep a chicken however they choose to, as long as it's not being abused. Raising a chicken indoors from hatch is not abuse. The chicken knows nothing else.

Chickens are more social animals than cats who are solitary and dogs who accept a human pack. Please know that I really sympathise, and know you love him but please don't hatch again if you haven't the space.

Ugh...

It is very much not the same.
The animals (completely different species, you can't even make a point with that comparison) live completely different lifestyles, alone, and it's different.
Chickens are flock animals and will never be anything but.
Don't try that comparison. It doesn't work on people who know anything about animals.

Back
Top Bottom