How did you deal with your aggressive rooster?

• Cull it. Safety is number one concern, especially with my family.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Keep it. I'll try to fix its behavior.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Give it away. No use keeping an aggressive rooster.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Thanks everybody! I'll be thinking long and hard whether to get rid of it, or keep it and try to fix its behavior. It's really interesting, hearing about everybody's experiences and advice! Thanks again.

My rooster isn't aggressive but he does get a little pushy.I just put my arms out to look bigger, step in front of him, lower my voice so I sound like a man and say hey! Stop being a jerk! He clicks and turns tail out of there.Guess I'm a decent rooster. :)

I have had chickens for a little over a year. My romanticism with roosters is over....all sentimentality gone. I have now culled the first 3 roosters that were part of my first dozen chicks. I gave the first 2 a chance in a Bachelor pen and that didn't end well. Though raised together(they did fine together for a very short while) in the end they fought to the death. It wasn't pretty and I will never do it again. They became crockpot roosters. The third rooster(BR) who was also part of this original bunch was always subordinate to these two and even had to learn to crow again once he was alone with the flock. I thought I had merely chosen the wrong one of the 3. Wrong! No doubt breeding season plays into this some but this rooster went after people and HENS. I just simply won't tolerate a rooster that will not behave and I am sick of him terrorizing a few hens. He is...as I write....sitting in a crate temporarily before he also ends up in a crockpot. I am done. There are just too many nice roosters out there for me to tolerate bad ones. For me...the kind of attack you had would mean a death sentence for the rooster. He would never get to propagate and I for sure would not pass him off to someone without full disclosure. And I have no need of a "pet" rooster in a pen by himself that I couldn't trust. All three were hatchery roosters. I have about 3 young ones, 8 weeks and younger, that came from established flocks. They have the same chance my first three did. And the same result if they are aggressive. I was in the same spot last summer as my three were becoming juveniles....I wanted to give them a chance. After all they were part of my original chicks but I have had enough grief from three rotten roosters this past year that if I didn't want my flock to propagate itself...I just don't believe I would even have a rooster.....just my thoughts. Once you see peace in a run that has no rooster in it...it will make you rethink roosters.

Wow, that's terrible I hate you've had such crummy roosters. I know you don't want to hear it but you could always try a faverolles they appear to be roosters but temperament wise they are more like hens or even a cat than a rooster. Again sorry about your streak of jerks.

Ok I have a funny Silkie rooster his name is Chuck....lol He was so sweet when he was little and then when he came into his manhood he would chase me and climb up my leg clawing at me, he was so small that it didn't hurt but it became annoying when your trying to clean the coop and he was just attacking you all the time. So I carried a broom with me and chased him around with it a couple of times just shooing him away and then when ever I came into the coop with the broom he stopped chasing me and decided that there were better things to do like the females to attend too than just attacking me. It worked with other roosters that were a lot bigger so try it and see how it goes.

Ok I have a funny Silkie rooster his name is Chuck....lol He was so sweet when he was little and then when he came into his manhood he would chase me and climb up my leg clawing at me, he was so small that it didn't hurt but it became annoying when your trying to clean the coop and he was just attacking you all the time. So I carried a broom with me and chased him around with it a couple of times just shooing him away and then when ever I came into the coop with the broom he stopped chasing me and decided that there were better things to do like the females to attend too than just attacking me. It worked with other roosters that were a lot bigger so try it and see how it goes.
I have done the same, but I use a fishing net. I start my chasing as soon as they start making the pullets, long before they start looking at me, and will scoop them up and either release after a bit or I toss them in jail temporarily. They learn to avoid me like the plague, and all grow into respectful roosters towards me. I'm than free to judge them based on other attributes. After they mature fully they no longer fear me because they have no need to.

I tried all kinds of things but nothing works without like someone said the time it takes to achieve the results desired . Rooters are the flock protectors . An aggressive rooster sees you as a threat to the flock . Nothing more or less than that the gentle rooster will no doubt pick up the aggressive behavior . I would not want a rooster that didn't attack at the distress call of a hen . The dominant rooster will almost always be the first to attack. To have a gentle rooster you most spend a lot of time around it so it accepts you as a member of the flock its really just that simple . Think about how much time you spend with a dog or a cat to have it be a member of the family . You can't simply go out with the chickens once or twice a day to feed and water and expect a rooster to be your best buddy it ain't gonna happen . And the more confined they are the more aggressive they become . To the point that they literally hate you . Never turn your back even on what you think is a gentle rooster . Talk softly and carry a big stick . Works for me kicking only hurts my back :barnie

What you say makes sense and I get that. I was down there pretty much every day last summer and giving treats, "tweaking" things, etc. The first two were RIR, at the end for those two, they were tag teaming my hens. My mistake was separating them both from the flock and not just picking one. Big mistake due to sentimentality and gee whiz...they were both glorious roosters in coloring. The BR? Either he learned bad behavior from them, hormones and breeding season got the best of him or he was just purely loco from the get go. I vote for the last and therefore his genes end with him. :(

Back
Top Bottom