How did you deal with your aggressive rooster?

• Cull it. Safety is number one concern, especially with my family.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Keep it. I'll try to fix its behavior.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Give it away. No use keeping an aggressive rooster.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
That is very true you do have to make yourself a daily fixture in the roosters routine. My guy isn't penned and is stealthy like a dang ninja! He can sneak up before you know what's going on so I definitely wouldn't keep him if he was a jerk.I always keep in mind what he is though and try not to unnessaraly set off his rooster signal because that thing has a hair trigger, exactly what you want in good protector.

I'm gonna get flak for saying this, but...some people shouldn't have dogs just like some people shouldn't have roosters. A person who isn't calm-assertive dominant isn't going to have the demeaner and mindset to be the alpha, either in a flock or in a pack.

Yes, a rooster will attack if he sees you as a threat, but it's more likely that he'll attack if he feels he is dominant over you and you need to be shown your place in the flock. I have three roosters and I see it happen in their 'pecking order' where the alpha rooster makes sure the second rooster knows who is boss and the second rooster makes sure the third rooster knows his place. If your rooster thinks he is dominant over you, he'll want to put you in your place if he feels you're too 'uppity.' Being mean to the rooster to try to 'show him who's boss' just fuels the fire because then he'll start looking at you as an adversary.

To establish yourself as dominant over him, you have to do it in a language he understand. Subordinates move out of the way when a chicken higher in the pecking order comes through, so move toward him and make him move. I don't mean to chase him, but if he's in front of you, walk confidently and expect him to move. Carry a short stick or a piece of PVC pipe, not to hit him with it, but to block him with if he challenges you. If you have a rooster, you've seen him put a wing down and circle the hens. That's a dominant behavior. Circle your rooster, so he gets the message that you're dominant over him. Block him with the stick if he challenges you and then move forward to make him step aside.

Notice that all through this, nothing has been said about verbal commands. Chickens don't respond to verbal commands, so using your voice is a waste of effort. It's all about being calm-assertive dominant and using behaviors that the rooster understands to establish yourself as dominant over him. Will it work? Not always. A timid-minded person can't fake it; the rooster will know you're not dominant and he'll work at putting you in your place.

Some people shouldn't have roosters. That's nothing against them; that's just the way it is. For their safety and the safety of the other humans in the household, it's best not to have a rooster if he is more assertive than you are.

I tried all kinds of things but nothing works without like someone said the time it takes to achieve the results desired . Rooters are the flock protectors . An aggressive rooster sees you as a threat to the flock . Nothing more or less than that the gentle rooster will no doubt pick up the aggressive behavior . I would not want a rooster that didn't attack at the distress call of a hen . The dominant rooster will almost always be the first to attack. To have a gentle rooster you most spend a lot of time around it so it accepts you as a member of the flock its really just that simple . Think about how much time you spend with a dog or a cat to have it be a member of the family . You can't simply go out with the chickens once or twice a day to feed and water and expect a rooster to be your best buddy it ain't gonna happen . And the more confined they are the more aggressive they become . To the point that they literally hate you . Never turn your back even on what you think is a gentle rooster . Talk softly and carry a big stick . Works for me kicking only hurts my back :barnie
I understand what you're saying... But I think a rooster can be protective of his flock without being human aggressive. I have two of them. (Had a good, promising cockerel last fall, but he died protecting one of my pullets. He'd give me the eye, but would also move out of my way. One day I was assisting one of the pullets into the run when he looked, started my direction, and then saw me looking at him. Right in the eye. He changed course quickly, but watched what was going on nonetheless. He also would give the dog the stink eye every time he came near, and even "growled" at the dog!) I can't they the two boys I have now are "gentle". I don't try to find out. I either ignore them, or walk at them to remind them who's boss. Other than that, I don't interact with them at all.

Don't forget to carry your stick - you don't want to hurt your back again!

My mindset is I am not a part of the pecking order in any way. I try to move through their environment as if I do not react to anything they do which might be aggressive or submissive. This means I move rather slowly much of the time.

I had a black australorp that was hyper aggressive from the time he matured, Hated all people, He knew I was the boss, but would hit when my back was to him. I have scars, had a nasty infection, they thought he broke a bone in my hand at first, and put up with him for to long. I have picked him up, locked him up, cut off his spurs (no pain for him no nerves there and the tool rotates so fast it comprises any blood vessels as it goes) the only thing he was afraid of was the broom and the khaki drake. One hit from behind to many while working out back. He is no longer or ever will be a problem again. Big Jake was a beautiful rooster and I put up with him for to long. In over 50 years of having chickens,rabbits,dogs,coons, and other things, I have never had one so aggressive and won't hesitate if it happens with another. They are easily replaced and can harm a child very badly if you have kids. Put that rascal down, and get another one.

It is really sad to see so many people are willing to kill their rooster instead of trying to fix their behavior....:( Have you tried to pick up you rooster every time you see it eyeing you, and just hold it for several seconds (while being prepared for possible resentment) and then put it down when it calms down. Keep doing this over and over again. Your roo will eventually get that you are in charge, not he. But you have to keep doing it, every time (consistency is key) and not give up. You must also not show fear, so maybe wear gloves initially until you feel comfortable around him again. All animals have the ability to change, just as people do....

It is really sad to see so many people are willing to kill their rooster instead of trying to fix their behavior....:( Have you tried to pick up you rooster every time you see it eyeing you, and just hold it for several seconds (while being prepared for possible resentment) and then put it down when it calms down. Keep doing this over and over again. Your roo will eventually get that you are in charge, not he. But you have to keep doing it, every time (consistency is key) and not give up. You must also not show fear, so maybe wear gloves initially until you feel comfortable around him again. All animals have the ability to change, just as people do....
Welcome to BYC. There are just more roosters than there are homes, I would rather people put down a dangerous animal who takes the joy out of keeping chickens, and give a good respectful rooster a good home. Chickens are livestock, which means males can be dangerous if you don't know how to deal or handle them. Generally once a rooster turns aggressive it's too late to change him, and he will always be willing to attack.

The good thing about keeping chickens is everyone can manage their birds in a way that fits their life, and there's no one way.

Many people still butcher and eat their own birds, which actually gives many roosters a go at life as opposed to those ground up at hatch because no one is willing to raise them and butcher them anymore.

I would just give the rooster away. It makes me sad when people decide to kill the rooster instead of just giving it away to someone who needs a rooster or taking the time to tame the rooster. :hit

Adding my two cents - I have about 10 roosters, each in their own family/flock. I love them. Some are super respectful and I trust them, some I watch as they are not "bad" but are the type that need ongoing attention. The only cockerel I ever had that came at me repeatedly after being shoved off (like what you describe) I culled - I see that as very dangerous behavior, and potentially genetic.

There is some great advice here that I need not repeat. One of mine who is a very good rooster with his hens and protective, but occasionally fussy when I fill the feeder, I make sure to stand (loom) over while holding out my arms, and I crowd him out of the coop by walking toward him and he gets the point and leaves. I don't let him back in until I'm done. It works well, and discourages attempts at dominance (I don't have to do it all the time, just every once and a while).

I would add one other tip - a blast of water to the face (hose or, better yet, super soaker) works VERY nicely with ones who try to posture and/or dominate. They run away like little humiliated girls. And they actually now recognize the super soaker and if they come up to the fence toward me in a way I don't like, I just have to start reaching down toward it and they spin around and head in the other direction, suddenly finding something REALLY interesting to peck at on the ground. :lau This is a nice option for a rooster that you are committed to keeping that isn't outright dangerous (yet). I like it because it can be applied at a distance and there's no need to get in there with them or near them, or try to catch them, etc. You can do it while you're doing your chores without much interruption.

I would just give the rooster away. It makes me sad when people decide to kill the rooster instead of just giving it away to someone who needs a rooster or taking the time to tame the rooster. :hit

I hate to tell you this, but giving a rooster away (especially one with behavior problems) usually ensures that someone ELSE will kill them and eat them - or worse, they may be used as bait for illegal cock fighting. No way would I ever sell or give away a cockerel or rooster to someone I didn't know very well. Giving them a good life and in the end a quick, humane death (rather than hoping they aren't mistreated by whomever you gave them away to) is the right thing to do for me. And I prefer knowing what sort of life the chickens I eat had, rather than the grocery store ones (unless you are a vegetarian?).

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom