Rooster Suggestions

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
My friend has two roosters she needs to get rid of. If I and up taking one, which breed would be the best to have as a pet? She has a black breasted red old English game bantam and a gold sebright bantam.

Here they are. Ignore the fence and the random hen :p

I have 14 hens, half our bantys/medium sized chickens. The rest are large fowl.

You'll get suggestions in both directions, based on folks favorite. I'm not crazy about banty roosters as every one I've had has been a little pissant. (Don't smack my hand for using that word, mods
hide.gif
)

If they were the only two roosters in the world and I had to pick one I'd go with the OEGB. Just re-homed not one but two sebrights, spastic little things with way too much testosterone.

You'll get suggestions in both directions, based on folks favorite.  I'm not crazy about banty roosters as every one I've had has been a little pissant.  (Don't smack my hand for using that word, mods :oops: )

If they were the only two roosters in the world and I had to pick one I'd go with the OEGB.  Just re-homed not one but two sebrights, spastic little things with way too much testosterone. 

Ok thanks!

It depends what you want from the breed if you want show birds Sebrights are one of the favourites. If you decide to breed from the sebright the hens will lay very few eggs but old english bantams are fairly good layers. :)

Old English bantams also have a much calmer temperament.

I would personally go for the OEB :) but it's up to you :)

It depends what you want from the breed if you want show birds Sebrights are one of the favourites. If you decide to breed from the sebright the hens will lay very few eggs but old english bantams are fairly good layers. :)

Old English bantams also have a much calmer temperament.

I would personally go for the OEB :) but it's up to you :)

Thank you too :)

My friend has two roosters she needs to get rid of. If I and up taking one, which breed would be the best to have as a pet? She has a black breasted red old English game bantam and a gold sebright bantam.

Here they are. Ignore the fence and the random hen
tongue.png

I have 14 hens, half our bantys/medium sized chickens. The rest are large fowl.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but, our experience has been fantastic with the Old English Game Bantam. (The male in my avatar. He's a Brown-red with quail chest.) (Upper right in flock photo.)

He's an older male whom we originally brought in to help protect our freeranging P RIR pullets. Although he was wild and unsocialized at first, we feel he was the best choice we could've made- he helped to raise the next group of P RIR pullets and roosters, and taught them how to act in a flock.

You couldn't ask for a male bird who cared better for juvies- he was just great with little ones. Even though he is 1 3/4 lb in weight, he is no pushover- he's king of the barnyard, and it is good to be king. He once beat up an 8 lb Marans (who is the most gentle rooster ever). He's just small and fast, and the king of bluffing- he couldn't hurt a flea.

He's not a "cuddly" rooster persay as he does not seem to have been raised expecting to be handled, but there isn't a mean bone in his body... he's good to the ladies, keeps the other roosters in line, and is a great lookout.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but, our experience has been fantastic with the Old English Game Bantam. (The male in my avatar. He's a Brown-red with quail chest.) (Upper right in flock photo.) He's an older male whom we originally brought in to help protect our freeranging P RIR pullets. Although he was wild and unsocialized at first, we feel he was the best choice we could've made- he helped to raise the next group of P RIR pullets and roosters, and taught them how to act in a flock. You couldn't ask for a male bird who cared better for juvies- he was just great with little ones. Even though he is 1 3/4 lb in weight, he is no pushover- he's king of the barnyard, and it is good to be king. He once beat up an 8 lb Marans (who is the most gentle rooster ever). He's just small and fast, and the king of bluffing- he couldn't hurt a flea. He's not a "cuddly" rooster persay as he does not seem to have been raised expecting to be handled, but there isn't a mean bone in his body... he's good to the ladies, keeps the other roosters in line, and is a great lookout.
Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom