Rooster took a beating

babsh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Minnesota
We had to rehome our Silkie rooster, Elvis a few days ago (one of my neighbors complained). The home he is at has about 24 hens and 2 other roosters, all standard sized birds. The roosters are very old and quite crippled. They can barely walk. I saw them fight a little and we had to take Elvis off the other rooster, because we were afraid he'd hurt him badly. The rooster is 3x his size.

I went to visit him today and saw him standing in the corner of the yard, bloody. His face, wattles, comb and hackle/chest/neck feathers were maroon. He won't go in the coop at night, he has to be brought in. He just stands at the edge of the yard. I feel SO bad for him. He seems lost. He no longer has a flock. He no longer has his "girls". He has no one to find food for or protect. And it appears they gave him a good beating this morning.

It's only been 2 days. Based on what you know about chickens, do you think he will adjust? Or is he always going to be a rooster without a flock? Will they hurt him more? I'm just heartbroken about this and am tempted to go get him and find him a new home, with a smaller flock.

Any advise is appreciated.

Barb

Well, I think they'll continue to show him who's in charge, especially if there's 2. Although they may be old, working together, they can obviously do some damage and aren't too old and crippled to do just that. After awhile, I'm sure they'll stop, but I guess it just depends on those roosters. Are you thinking of taking him back and rehoming him somewhere else once he heals up??

he needs to be seperated and introduced through fencing at first or they may kill him. at the least they will keep him from eating and he will waste away. Maybe they could set up a seperate pen for him and a few silkie hens?

It is probably far more than two against one. The hens are probably getting in on the action making it 26 to one.

Please find hime another home if you can...it breaks my heart:( If you can't maybe it would be kindest to euthanize him. That's so sad. We had an aggression problem and one of the birds had to be put down because I was so afraid of sending her away and having her get beaten up like yours. I'm so sorry!!

Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate that. Very few people in real life understand how attached I am to this bird. He really is the sweetest, gentlest, most affectionate rooster ever. I'm just heartbroken over having to give him up.

Now for the update. There is a surprise twist. Turns out that the blood I saw all over Elvis was not his own. It was the other rooster's. Elvis killed him. So much for worrying about him getting picked one. The new family had the other rooster euthanized today. So he is now the only rooster.

barb

When I fisrt started the chicken thing I was given 3 roosters for free it was great they were best of buddies. I added some girls and the dominant rooster took over. He bloodied up the other roosters and chases them away from the hens. The other 2 will be the last birds to go in the coop for the night.
If he's an old guy they wont stop untill he is gone or dead, it's just the way they are.
Only the strong will prevail.

Back
Top Bottom