Rooster unable to keep balance

I get the results in a week. Ty. I don't believe he was vaccinated. I got him a month ago from an animal hoarder. I thought it was fowl cholera because he had most signs and symptoms for it. Also I used google lol!

Here is your state poultry lab.

North Carolina

Rollins Diagnostic Laboratory
North Carolina Department of Agriculture
2101 Blue Ridge Rd.
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
Phone: 919-733-3986 Fax 919-733-0454

Vets are usually much more expensive doing a necropsy. They still send it off to the lab but take their cut off of the top for their service.

It's a shame you prophylactically gave antibiotics without knowing what was wrong with him.
That can skew the results of the necropsy rendering it inconclusive.

We've known for decades that giving antibiotics for things like viral and fungal infections or even bacteria that no longer have a cure can create super bugs. We're nearing the end of the road for the effectiveness of antibiotics because of overuse.
Why do people keep treating when they don't have a diagnosis?

A new superbug has come to the US and the drug of last resort doesn't kill it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

Thames my condolences. I understand what it's like to feel helpless and try whatever you can to save your friend. You did your best
1f614.png

I've only had chickens for two months. I'm doing my best.
Many of us learn from others here on BYC, and our opinions can change over the years. You did what you felt was correct, and I probably would give antibiotics as a last ditch effort to save one of my pet chickens. Some overuse antibiotics when they don't know exactly what the problem is. Some have the opinion that no antibiotics should ever be used on chickens. Our dogs and cats get them if they have a treatable infection, so many of us would use them responsibly to treat a pet chicken. I personally don't use medications on my chickens, although I did once give some Tylan to a bird, but I try to keep everyone as healthy as possible by not bringing in new chickens, and I let nature take it's course. Anyone that I would see sick would be separated or culled and sent off for a necropsy, unless it was my pet mille fleur.

Ive been having issues with my flock over the last 7 months, 11 birds died. Have waiting this long to get necropsy because I was unaware of what to do. Took sick chickens to the vet, didn't work and they died. Shipped one out to get Necropsy, diagnosis was Pox, which didn't add up to the chicken symptoms. Researched. Researched. & Researched. Finally found a kind and very knowledgable vet at a collage that would help and do a diagnostic lab necropsy for very cheap. Dr Ficken explained how I was to ship the dead carcasses to him and would do a necropsy right away. & finally I got results that matched up with what my chickens have been experiencing. COCCIDIOSIS specific type was EIMERIA NECATIRX is a protozoa parasite that eats their intestines and prevents any absorption to the body. Treatable. I am starting treatment for all my other chickens today. Let me know what your results end up being. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom