Rooster who doesn’t act like a rooster...?

maggie326

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Central Florida
So our sweet boy here very much appears to be a rooster, but based on behavior not so much. He is the smallest chicken in the group of hens and sleeps tucked up underneath our two leghorn girls. Now we aren’t supposed to have roosters, but I feel horrible giving him to a place that says they will rehome him not knowing for sure that he won’t be dinner. I know he’s a chicken, they are food, but he’s so sweet and tiny!! Has anyone ever had a super non dominant rooster not crow? Does that happen?

Attachments

• E1DE7120-02B3-429F-B0AA-EABEE0C174E3.jpeg
    E1DE7120-02B3-429F-B0AA-EABEE0C174E3.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 955244E3-9479-4287-A88A-22080F76A6F2.jpeg
    955244E3-9479-4287-A88A-22080F76A6F2.jpeg
    602.2 KB · Views: 38
  • C497EC4F-8F1E-4733-B018-C15A9726BD5A.jpeg
    C497EC4F-8F1E-4733-B018-C15A9726BD5A.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 35
If only... I had a cockerel not crow. Couldn't figure out why... until "he" laid an egg (Silkies are so hard to sex!).

They all crow once their hormones kick in.

He is definitely a he, and he's very cute.

How old is he? Is he an Easter Egger? Hard to tell on my phone. He is a cutie. I've had some "late bloomers" that did not crow till about 14 weeks or so. But @Aunt Angus is spot on. They will surely crow, just as sure as a teen-age boy's voice will change!

Looks to be a Easter Egger and is a Male for sure. Sometimes you just get chill roosters. My Blue Wyandotte didnt crow much at all and was a sweet heart. My daughter would carry him around like a baby. I bred him with one of my RIR and he was a good daddy too. Not all roosters crow all the time or are agressive. Kinda like people. Not everyone is a asshole.

Looks to be a Easter Egger and is a Male for sure. Sometimes you just get chill roosters. My Blue Wyandotte didnt crow much at all and was a sweet heart. My daughter would carry him around like a baby. I bred him with one of my RIR and he was a good daddy too. Not all roosters crow all the time or are agressive. Kinda like people. Not everyone is a asshole.
My rooster is a good boy, but, gosh, he crows all the effing time.

I am staying with family right now while we wait to close on our new house, and roosters aren't allowed here, either. So Picotee is a house rooster now...
:gig

How old is he? Is he an Easter Egger? Hard to tell on my phone. He is a cutie. I've had some "late bloomers" that did not crow till about 14 weeks or so. But @Aunt Angus is spot on. They will surely crow, just as sure as a teen-age boy's voice will change!

He’s just a little over three months old, but doesn’t have an ounce of dominance - I kind of feel bad for the little guy lol

I am just going to hope he stays chill. If it weren’t for the feathers you would never guess he was a rooster. He’s such the baby of the flock right now and he’s not the youngest in the group.

He’s just a little over three months old, but doesn’t have an ounce of dominance - I kind of feel bad for the little guy lol
Eh, don't pity him. Dominant and aggressive roos end up stew or dumplings, around here anyway. I have two very sweet boys that will live long and happy lives as long as they continue to be such fine gentlemen.

So our sweet boy here very much appears to be a rooster, but based on behavior not so much. He is the smallest chicken in the group of hens and sleeps tucked up underneath our two leghorn girls. Now we aren’t supposed to have roosters, but I feel horrible giving him to a place that says they will rehome him not knowing for sure that he won’t be dinner. I know he’s a chicken, they are food, but he’s so sweet and tiny!! Has anyone ever had a super non dominant rooster not crow? Does that happen?
He's very handsome.

Back
Top Bottom