rooster with respiratory infection - how to treat?

Didn't know Baytril was banned for poultry use, thanks for that info!

I didn't make it to the feed store before they closed but I did just get a hold of a pile of human-grade antibiotics and one veterinary antibiotic. Here's what I have; any suggestions for which would be best to use? I understand that I would need to recalculate the mg/kg dosage.

1) Cephalexin (prescribed for a dog), still within expiration date
2) Clindamycin (human), expired in 2015
3) Sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim (human), just expired last month
4) Clindamycin (human), expired in 2015
5) Amoxicillin + clavulanate (human), expired in 2015. My dog was just on this medication for an unknown bacterial infection (she got fresh pills from a vet so she was not taking these older human pills) so it looks like this kind of medication can be used in dogs at least.

Didn't know Baytril was banned for poultry use, thanks for that info!

I didn't make it to the feed store before they closed but I did just get a hold of a pile of human-grade antibiotics and one veterinary antibiotic. Here's what I have; any suggestions for which would be best to use? I understand that I would need to recalculate the mg/kg dosage.

1) Cephalexin (prescribed for a dog), still within expiration date
2) Clindamycin (human), expired in 2015
3) Sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim (human), just expired last month
4) Clindamycin (human), expired in 2015
5) Amoxicillin + clavulanate (human), expired in 2015. My dog was just on this medication for an unknown bacterial infection (she got fresh pills from a vet so she was not taking these older human pills) so it looks like this kind of medication can be used in dogs at least.
All of those can be used. How many of each do you have and how many mg are they?

Edited to add:
How much does your rooster weigh?

He weighs about 7 lbs (this is an estimate based on comparing to the weight of our dog who weighed in at 10.8 lbs at the time of her last vet visit a week ago; we do not have a scale).

The antibiotics are as follows:

1) Cephalexin 500 mg
2) Clindamycin 150 mg
3) Sulfam + tri 800/160 mg
4) Amoxi/clav 875/125 mg

Back
Top Bottom