rooster with respiratory infection - how to treat?

Only problem I can see is not having enough. Chickens get massive doses compared to humans, cats, and dogs. 5-14 days worth are needed.

Awesome! So glad to know at least a couple of these drugs should work. I'm glad some people don't throw away their old medicine ;) What's the best way to give antibiotics orally to a chicken? I'm not sure how much he's drinking so I'd be reluctant to give them in water. It is OK to mix them into food that he likes, like a boiled/mashed egg?

Awesome! So glad to know at least a couple of these drugs should work. I'm glad some people don't throw away their old medicine ;) What's the best way to give antibiotics orally to a chicken? I'm not sure how much he's drinking so I'd be reluctant to give them in water. It is OK to mix them into food that he likes, like a boiled/mashed egg?
I would just open his mouth and insert the pill. None of the meds are water soluble, so you can't give them in water.

Thank you for the videos; really helpful! I didn't see them until after I gave Peter his antibiotic. I ended up mixing the contents of the cephalexin capsule with a mashed hard boiled egg and some yogurt and he ate it right up. Thankfully his appetite is good (knock on wood) so that seems like the easiest way to give pills for now. I'm also a bit reluctant to push anything down his throat given his labored breathing but will try if he stops taking the pills with food.

You might also try vapor treatments with Oxine AH, if you have it on hand. I have found that it works wonders with many respiratory infections in birds. I use it along with antibiotics and have had success with it for fungal infections that are not treatable with them. It is used in commercial poultry houses to treat lung infections. You do not need, nor should you use the citric acid activator mentioned on the label; that is for the treatment of poultry housing, not the chickens.
We have had success converting a kennel into a vapor tent by using plastic bags. The vaporizer can either go right inside with the bird, if there's room, or you can direct the vapor into the kennel by tenting it with the plastic. My formula is 4oz Oxine in one gallon of water for the vaporizer. I almost always add 1 tablespoon of 99% DMSO as well. This will help to carry the Oxine deep into the lungs where they rest against the ribs.
Put the rooster in the vapor chamber for 15 minutes at a time at least three times per day at the start of treatment. As he improves, cut back. You do not need to make fresh solution each time.
Oxine can be hard to find, though some feed stores will carry it. If I could not find it, I would still treat the bird with DMSO in the water as it also has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Tractor Supply usually has it in the equine section. Information about the use of each of these products is available by online search. DMSO is one of my favorite preparations for our own family use as well. I am not a vet, not a doctor, or any such thing-just a mom and wife who likes to be as independent as possible, and these things work for me. Good luck with your rooster. He is lucky you care so much about him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom