rooster with respiratory infection - how to treat?

Sep 20, 2017
Washington State
We have a 6 month old rooster with what appears to be a respiratory infection: coughing, sneezing, wheezing/whistling sounds while breathing, beak sometimes slightly open when breathing, sounds hoarse and less than full volume when crowing. He also has a pretty bad case of frostbite on his comb and wattles. We brought him inside this afternoon and are keeping him warm, dark and quiet in a crate in our bedroom. We've been hand-feeding treats and his appetite seems to be good. I haven't seen him drink out of the bowl in his crate yet so I put a few drops of water on the side of his beak and he swallowed those. I also fed him a few leaves of parsley as it's supposed to have antibacterial properties.

Is there anything else we can do in the absence of vet care? None of the vets in our area will treat chickens.

Hmmm... Well; I nave no desire to look at gamecock sites- but laws differ in certain states- California, for instance- and I doubt any site can sell to customers in those states.
All of them sell to California. If they didn't, I wouldn't have a bottle of Baytril and Marbofloxacin on my shelf. ;)

It's true that California has a new antibiotic law, but the pigeon and gamebird sites still sell here. Seems all wrong that it's easier for me to get a bottle of Baytril than it is to get a bottle of penicillin, but it's true.

If anyone in California, or any other state needs Baytril, order from here:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom