Rooster's comb

Marfa

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 22, 2014
My young rooster's comb is going slightly purple at the ends? Does this mean anything is wrong?

It's mid winter here in England so I'm wondering whether it's just the cold or something!
Any help would be appreciated

Since it's been really mild here in the UK so far it's unlikely to be due to the cold. We've barely had a frost yet.

I wouldn't worry overly but definitely keep an eye on him for any other signs of being unwell.... I am assuming there aren't any at the moment. How old is he and what breed? Have you had him from a chick or is he a recent acquisition? Could he be stressed?

Does he have a large comb? I have seen some of my roosters have some darker tips especially toward the rear if the comb is large. It can be normal if you see some improvement later on. I believe that cold temperatures or stress from molting can cause this. I have one with a pea comb that even does this and he is very healthy. If it gets severe or the whole comb becomes blue, then heart or breathing problems could be the problem. Frostbite can occur when temps get down in the teens (Farenheit) and pictures are always helpful to post her.

Back
Top Bottom