Roosters in town and sex links

To this very day my mom still gets straight run non sex link chicks and ends up with several roosters.
The neighbors still complain.
That town oridance never stopped her.
I guess she's just old fashioned and she told me that's how it was when she grew up on the farm.
Lol

Well I'd loan you my hubby to pick out your hens but I think you live much too far away for that to work. This year due to a bet I lost with him, I let him pick out the chicks. He grabbed each one looked at it carefully and said "Hen" "Roo" "Hen" and so on. I watched him and scratched my head as did the clerk who was helping us. We finally said almost in unison "What the heck are you using to decide?" He grinned and said "Big Boats" Both the clerk ( a friend of mine) and I were going huh???WHA!!? Seems he thinks rooster chicks always have slightly bigger feet.. We laughed at him but he got to pick the chicks this time. Guess what? NO freaking Roosters. Not a single one! So while I have no opinion on rooster chick feet size nor could I see any difference? He got it 100% right.

I teach in a rural district and every spring our ag center gives eggs to the campuses to hatch. After hatch, the chicks are either adopted or culled. Our campus hatched 5 chicks and no one wanted them, so I adopted all 5. I live in a "4 max, no roo" area, but I took them all anyways knowing there was a good chance at least one would be a roo. I ended up with 2 of the 5 being roos and had to re-home them. Don't regret my decision in the least. There was no point in having 5 perfectly healthy chicks culled because there was a chance some could end up roos. My point is, people have all kinds of reasons for doing the things they do. If you don't like seeing the rehoming posts, keep on scrolling!

I paid a hatchery a premium for female chicks. I still got a cockerel. ::shrug:: It happens.
How about those orders where they add extras for warmth and they happened to be Barred Rock cockerels... I know as I'm helping a fellow chicken keeper who was put in this position in town where there's a Rooster ordinance, kind of hands tied in this situation... And considering sexing chicks has 90% accuracy rate!!

I teach in a rural district and every spring our ag center gives eggs to the campuses to hatch. After hatch, the chicks are either adopted or culled. Our campus hatched 5 chicks and no one wanted them, so I adopted all 5. I live in a "4 max, no roo" area, but I took them all anyways knowing there was a good chance at least one would be a roo. I ended up with 2 of the 5 being roos and had to re-home them. Don't regret my decision in the least. There was no point in having 5 perfectly healthy chicks culled because there was a chance some could end up roos. My point is, people have all kinds of reasons for doing the things they do. If you don't like seeing the rehoming posts, keep on scrolling!
Ok so if you lived in a trailer park with a 30 pound max size limit on dogs would you go out and a great dane! Lol

Back
Top Bottom