Rooster's nails keep breaking off.

Toshi

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
IN corn state
I am having a major problem with my Rooster, he is a big SS rooster, my guess ten pounds if not a bit more, he is a big bird.

Well i have been having problems with his feet. This past week two of his toe nails have broken off. I am not sure whats going on with his feet at all. They look pretty good, all but his nails. Whats going on with him?! I would like to get this fixed. I am worried about his well being.

Any help as fast as possible would be wonderful.

Is there anything in his pen he could be snagging them on? Or, is he maybe fighting with another rooster? Full on battling or through a fence?

I wouldn't think they'd just break, especially if the rest of his feet look good. Except maybe if his nail were really long?

See thats what i dont get. I dont have another rooster, he is the only dude i got. They were not that long, they could be snagging but i dont see anything that would snag them like that.

I was starting to think maybe the roost or something its like a few feet up and he jumps up and down, i dont have steps or anything...I should put something in there for them.

My old coop had a roost that was almost 7.5 feet high. I had LF Cochins in that coop (read, VERY large birds, my rooster was around 15lbs). They would haul their big, fluffy butts up there in the evening and thud down every morning, without steps and without injury.

Check your run over VERY well. It could be something as small as a stray piece of wire, fishing line, a root or stick poking up through the ground, anything that could grab or hurt a toenail.

I hope you get it figured out! Do your birds free range? If so, maybe he caught on something in your yard?

Yeah my birds free range, and maybe, they like to play by the tree, its an old tree with a lot of roots, but other then that i am very careful about keeping stuff up out of my yard. I have ponies as well, so i am always looking for things. I will have to check his run, maybe i missed something. I hope i figure it out too.
Thanks for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom