Roosters vs Hawk Yesterday

I have had hawks in the past kill birds. Currently I see either a Red Tail or Red Shouldered hawk most every day on the same branch in a persimmon tree. Maybe it's after field mice or rats, maybe squirrels. We have Fox Squirrels which don't do any harm but we also have Gray Squirrels that do. I don't mind if the hawks take a Gray squirrel. I've been leaving the birds in their pens where they are safe.

is there a way to keep hawks away there always trying to get the hens
Only if you either keep them inside or in a small enough yard to completely cover it with netting. Otherwise,it sometimes works to keep a couple of good roosters, encourage crows or blue jays which will harass them and/or use scarecrows. Under no circumstances can you harm them.

Only if you either keep them inside or in a small enough yard to completely cover it with netting. Otherwise,it sometimes works to keep a couple of good roosters, encourage crows or blue jays which will harass them and/or use scarecrows. Under no circumstances can you harm them.
I agree. We have befriended a small flock of crows. Even if the crows are not successful in chasing off a hawk, their loud warning calls are quite helpful.

It's too bad there are so many that aren't law abiding.

The 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act is one of the oldest wildlife protection laws on the books.
Sorry folks, not so. Raptors, including hawks are not covered under the MBCA specifically because they were historically considered a nuisance and threat to farmers and livestock owners. Thus farmers and others are allowed to protect their property by killing or harassing problem birds without being at risk of breaking the law.
I just scared off a goshawk yesterday

Normally I would jump all over this thread, but this year I am getting zero hawk action. I mean zero, as in no hawks are visiting at all. Owl is causing a little trouble and it left on its own accord.

As for the legality, I have looked at it from multiple angles. If you mess with the raptors, best to keep your mouth shut even if in Canada.
I haven't seen any hawks until this year. A few days ago I had to scare one away that was perching on our roof. :oops:

Sorry folks, not so. Raptors, including hawks are not covered under the MBCA specifically because they were historically considered a nuisance and threat to farmers and livestock owners. Thus farmers and others are allowed to protect their property by killing or harassing problem birds without being at risk of breaking the law.
I just scared off a goshawk yesterday
That used to be the case.
In 1972, an amendment added 32 families of birds to the treaty, including owls, hawks and eagles, bringing protection to 1,026 bird species, almost every native bird on the continent or any bird that strays into the U.S.
Included in the treaty are Canada, the US, Mexico, Japan, the UK and Russia.
Here is a complete list of protected species.
https://www.fws.gov/birds/management/managed-species/migratory-bird-treaty-act-protected-species.php
Power lines kill over 60 million birds a year. Communication towers kill 7 million. Uncovered oil pits and oil spills kill another million. Observe that those are all human activities.
However, it is still the case that one will be prosecuted for shooting a Red-Tailed hawk or taking an egg.

Last edited:
That used to be the case.
In 1972, an amendment added 32 families of birds to the treaty, including owls, hawks and eagles, bringing protection to 1,026 bird species, almost every native bird on the continent or any bird that strays into the U.S.
Included in the treaty are Canada, the US, Mexico, Japan, the UK and Russia.
Here is a complete list of protected species.
https://www.fws.gov/birds/management/managed-species/migratory-bird-treaty-act-protected-species.php
Power lines kill over 60 million birds a year. Communication towers kill 7 million. Uncovered oil pits and oil spills kill another million. Observe that those are all human activities.
However, it is still the case that one will be prosecuted for shooting a Red-Tailed hawk or taking an egg.
Where do they get the stats on birds killed by powerlines? I should be seeing dead from that if numbers that high.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom